For this assessment we have to create a carry bag. We will be able to use school supplies such as; patterns, scissors and thread. While we make the bag, we have to film various safety rules that we will use to make a video, this will warn others of various hazards when working in the textiles environment. Or we can make a video about how to thread a sewing machine. By the end of the assessment we will have a personalised carry bag, and an Adobe Spark page including; a title page, information on design specifications, photos (of various bags & our production processes), a safety video/how to thread a sewing machine and an evaluation.
To Produce My Bag
1) Fold your fabric in half, length ways.
2) Mark out 2 pockets (on the fold) and then pin.
3) Mark out 2 main fabric pieces and then pin, (you will end up with 4 pieces since the fabric is folded in half).
4) Mark out and pin 2 strap pieces (on the fold).
5) Cut out the pocket pieces.
6) Cut out the main fabric pieces (twice).
8) Cut out and unpin two strap pieces.
9) Fold the strap lengthways (right sides together), iron and then sew the strap 1.5cm from the raw edge (twice).
10) Use a safety pin to pull the fabric through to the correct side, then iron flat (twice).
11) Place folded and ironed pockets in the middle, (at the bottom) of one piece of the main bag. Lay one strap 15cm away from each side of the bag. Make sure that the raw edges of the pocket are caught underneath the strap. Pin along each strap.
12) Sew the bag together following the pins. Sew as close as possible to the edges of the strap on both sides. Stop and turn stitching 3cm away from the top of the bag. Then sew back down the strap.