1. Texas politics changed with the Constitution of 1876 and one-party rule
2. African Americans were denied equal rights after reconstruction and tenant farmers
3. After reconstruction, many Texas farmers became sharecroppers and tenant farmers
4. Redeemers limited the size of state government and cut back on political participation by African Americans
5. Segregation is foarced separation of people of different races.
6. The name Jim Crow came front he racist song "Jump Jim Crow."
7. Tenant farmers are people who rent land to grow crops.
8. Sharecroppers were farmers who lacked land and necessary supplies.
9. Many Texans who could not afford land became sharecroppers or tenant farmers.
10. Because of debt, it was hard to get out of the sharecropping cycle.