Marketing is the science and art of exploring, creating, and delivering value to satisfy the needs of a target market at a profit.
Can you think of any other departments that are needed in a business?
Think of all the sections that make up a business, draw a tree and add the functions to each branch
Let's look at Lush. Watch the video and then explain what the function is in the business.
Production- The function is to produce the products, the soaps, creams, etc
- Purchasing – buy materials and equipment
- Production – make the cosmetics
- Maintenance – ensure equipment works OK
- Health and Safety – for the safety of employees
- Research & Development – to develop new products
- Warehousing (Storage) and Distribution – to keep the cosmetics
- (Retail) Sales – to sell to customers
- Marketing, Advertising and Promotion – to attract customers
- HR (Employee Recruitment, Training, Payroll) – to ensure you have the people needed to do the work
- Accounts/Finance – to monitor money flows in and out of the business
- Office Administration, IT and Management Information Systems – to deal with the records of the business and support the management
Have a go at the task sheet provided. Identify which function matches each description