Active and Passive Voice
- is doing the action
- normally only one verb (which is an action)
Examples of Active Voice:
- The lizard ate the plants.
- The Lizard climbed the wall.
- The lizard rested in the room.
- Is receiving the action
- 2 or more verbs
- normally a linking or helping verb (1 or more), then an action verb (only one)
Examples of Passive Voice:
- The lizards were eating the plants.
- The Lizard was climbing the wall.
- The lizard will be resting in the room.
Why Tenses are Used
Different verb forms indicate tense, or the time of the action.
Note: Pay attention to see if its singular or plural
- Be + a Present Participle
Forms of Be
- Will be
- Present Progressive: Ex: is studying.
- Past Progressive: Ex: was studying.
- Future Progressive: Ex: will be studying.
- Zachary is playing basketball. (present)
- Zachary was playing basketball. (past)
- Zachary will be playing basketball.
Have + Past Participle
Forms of Have
- Will have
- Present Perfect: Ex: have read.
- Past Perfect: Ex: has read.
- Future Perfect will have read
- Cal, Walker, Graham, and Matthew have football today. (present)
- Cal, Walker, Graham, and Matthew had football today. (past)
- Cal, Walker, Graham, and Matthew will have football today. (future)
Is the form of a verb that gives special force to a simple present or past tense verb.
Do + verb
- For the present tense, use do or does before the base form of the verb.
- For the past tense, use did before the base form of the verb.
- Do not confused this with do, does, and did used as auxiliary verbs in questions or negative sentences.
- I do like Direct TV.
- I did watch TV last night.
can express a wish or a condition that is contrary to to fact.
Subjunctive: (start 1st) (whether, wish, desire, if, that, would, should, could, that)
- Demand after that
- uncertainty (if)
- Control to fact
The past tense is used to state present wishes or desires or contrary-to-fact conditions.
The past perfect tense is used to state past wishes, desires, or contrary-to-fact conditions.
Wish or Desire:
I wish I had an electric toothbrush
If I brushed my teeth, I wouldn't have cavities