Fiber Arts Food Sculpture
Materials: Felt, Wool Roving, Embroidery Floss, Embroidery Needles, Thin Quilt Batting, Tag Board, Stapler, Needle Felting Pen, Replacement Needles, Needle Felting Mat, Quick Dry Glue, Wire, Imagination and Knowledge of FOOD!
I used maroon felt cut into bacon-like strips (trying to stay life sized). I needle felted white and a goldenrod color wool roving into each strip of bacon.
I used white and bright yellow felt cut into the general shape of two eggs prepared sunny-side up...(again, trying to stay life sized). Each egg has two thicknesses of the white felt to make the egg white more opaque. I hand stitched the felt yolk onto one of the egg white layers using bright yellow embroidery floss to match the yolk, about a third of the way before adding a little bit of batting (to give it shape) before finishing the stitching around the yolk. I then sewed the second layer of egg white to the first using embroidery floss that was more of an off-white color trying to emulate the color of the edge of eggs when cooked. I repeated this process to make the second egg.
I used tan felt cut into four triangular shapes (trying to stay life sized). I needle felted white, goldenrod and a copper color wool roving onto two of the tan felt triangles, trying to achieve a golden brown cooked color. I then used a darker variegated felt to cut strips for the bread crust. I needle felted that as well. I then cut strips of ivory felt for the inside edge of the bread. I cut that a little thinner than the bread crust strips which were approximately one half inch, since french toast tends to "deflate" a bit when in the pan. I hand stitched the top triangle, bread crust strips and bottom triangle together first using two-strands of golden brown embroidery floss. I then loosely added some thin batting (similar to stuffing a pillow) inside before stitching the ivory strip to secure it all. I finished it off by needle felting again to loosen the shape a bit so it looked more organic.
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!
Breakfast is Served!
And, last but certainly not least.... you know I had to do it!
I used a mid-tone blue piece of felt cut into a rectangle to use for the mug (again...trying to stay life sized). I also made two narrow strips, approximately one half inch, using the same color felt for the handle. I hand sewed the rectangle into a cylinder to form the mug shape and sewed the two smaller strips together to make a more sturdy handle, using two strands of a matching blue embroidery floss. Before finishing off the handle I put about a four inch length of 1/8" armature wire between the two strips to allow for the bend of the mug handle. I then stitched it up and sewed it to the mug.
I made a smaller cylinder out of tag board and stapled it together (as seem in the above image) to give me something to lay my darn brown felt over to make the actual coffee. The tag board cylinder is slightly smaller in diameter than the mug. I cut the felt so I could fold and use the quick dry glue to adhere the sides up onto the tag board. I then added a large strip of the dark brown felt around the bottom of the tag board to keep the thickness even, and stapled it in place. After that was all dry I slid the coffee into the mug from the bottom. The fit was successfully snug so no stitching or gluing was needed to keep the coffee in the cup.