Get details information about SQL server and its associated file type. Also, discover the need of SQL transaction log analyzer and how to analyze. SQL Server Log Explorer tool is used to view, analyze and recover SQL Log files.
Overview of SQL Server and its associated files:
MS SQL server is a relational database management system developed by Microsoft. It's primarily designed to store and retrieve data to other software applications, it may be running on the same computer or on another across a network. MS SQL server is most used program globally as most of the companies use SQL server to store and manage information.
SQL server has mainly three different database files:
- MDF file: This is primary data file called master database file created when we create a database using create command with .mdf extension. It contains schema with data.
- NDF file: This is a secondary data file as it is an optional and user defined file to grow or expand the database size. The user can have more than one .ndf files for a single database.
- LDF file: It is called log data file. LDF is a most integral file of every SQL Server database.
There may be more than one transaction logs of a database. It is most important in a case of disaster recovery but must be uncorrupted. It keeps track of all changes made in the database. If a log is corrupted, then you will need to repair SQL server log file.
The SQL Log file stores the information of each and every transaction made to the database. This transaction log grows for each and every changes made to the SQL database. Because of the SQL server design and its ACID compliance, it cannot work without transaction log files. In that case, user demands for SQL server transaction log recovery are growing.
Need of SQL transaction log analyzer:
These are some points which explain the need to Analyze SQL log files:
- It is helpful in case data gets deleted from transaction log files to restore SQL log file.
- As we know SQL log file cannot be opened and viewed without any utility, so to analyze the transactions of the database, SQL server transaction log viewer tool is important while examining forensic database.
- While working in SQL with simple recovery mode, the log backup does not save the recent activity, so to view SQL server database transaction log file, a third-party utility needs to be deployed.
- To recover the corrupted transaction log files as corrupt log files is not useful at the time of disaster recovery.
How to view and read SQL transaction log files?
There is no method to analyze the SQL transaction log files other than using SQL server transaction log reader because we know that it cannot be opened manually. In such case, SQL server log explorer is very beneficial to view SQL transaction log and also repair the corrupted log files.
Features of SQL server transaction log explorer:
- Detailed analyze SQL server transaction log files.
- Quick Scan and recover data of corrupted SQL Log file.
- Recovery of deleted data while working on the database in simple recovery mode.
- Facilitate to export SQL server transaction log in three different formats i.e SQL database, SQL script and CSV file after complete scanning.
- Recover LDF file without the installation of MS SQL Server.
- SQL server log explorer Supports to retrieve and read records from the Live database.
- SQL log viewer gives the option to apply date based filter.
- Compatible with LDF files of SQL server 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008, 2005.
SQL Server log LDF file plays an important role in MS SQL. LDF is important for recovering database in case of its failure, also to recover incomplete transaction and individual transaction. As we stated above that log files cannot be opened and readable manually, which grows out the need of SQL server log explorer tool as it is designed and developed to view, repair and read all transactions made in a database which stores in LDF files.