Art is bringing the deepest you to the surface and polishing the rough edges... or indulging them.
All students should take a good long look in the mirror. It's a critical part of growing up to rebel and try on some different personalities to break away from parents. We can encourage it and make it safe, or suppress it and try to stop it... and have it explode.
"Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen
Use Your Brain (science)
- Find out more about how you and your team work
- Ask questions openly
- Realize your blind spots
- Realize there's a Switch!
Don't Mix Your Drinks
- Pick specific times/days for each side of the brain
- Creative FIRST- then procedural stuff
Fear is the mortal enemy of creativity. -Alex Bogusky
Helping Others See
Working with Clients or Students
- DON’T MIX DRINKS
- Business details afterward
- Separate emails / days for design and tasks
- Use checklists/template files
- Teach them how to give feedback
- People don’t know what they don’t know.
- Ask them to sketch it
Give Homework to Clients!
- Help them understand what you do
- Help them understand what you need to think about
- Help them understand their problem
In the Lab/Office
- Critique often
- Always share
- Take/encourage frequent breaks
- Separate specs and design tasks
Forget building Weaknesses
You'll spend a lot of time working on becoming less sucky at things you'll at best become mediocre at... and you'll neglect your unique gifts and contributions.
- Teaching fish to climb trees
- Wastes time that could be used to sharpen skills
- Use the right tool for the job
Hit The Gym
- How the Mind Works- Pinker
- Mindset- Dweck
- Brain Rules- Medina
- Drive & Whole New Mind- Dan Pink
- Make It Stick – Peter Brown
- Simple Rules- Eisenhardt and Sull
- Freakonomics - Levitt and Dubner
- Blink - Gladwell
- Irrationally Yours- Dan Ariely
- Made to Stick & Switch- Heath and Heath
- You are Not So Smart- David McRaney
- Logically Fallacious -Bo Bennett