Discuss these questions with your partner. Take turns in asking and answering the questions. Take notes of new words or expressions that come up. After the discussion, report your partner's opinion to the whole class, adding your comments.
- Have you ever watched a Shakespeare's play or film? Did you like it?
- Would you watch a Shakespeare's play performed by inmates or former inmates? Why or why not?
- Do you think inmates make good actors for a Shakespeare's role? What makes you think that?
- "Playing Shakespeare is an opportunity to reflect on life". To what extent do you think this statement is truthful for an inmate? Are people capable of change?
- Do you believe Shakespeare behind bars benefits society in general? Why or why not?
- Shakespeare behind bars is a redemptive programme. Do you believe it can result in low rates of recidivism? What are your views on programmes like this one?
Image credits: https://cinephiliamedia.wordpress.com/tag/shakespeare/, http://www.leoweekly.com/2015/05/theater-shakespeare-behind-bars/, http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/HT_samuelmorrisleftTimmyWalker_cf_160510_12x5_1600.jpg, http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-31750112