The population of mountain goats in the olympic mountains has doubled over the last 12 years. The population started out at 12 but is now at 600. The goats can be harmful because they eat all of the vegetation on the mountain.
Northern Spotted Owl
The northern spotted owl isn endangered because of over harvesting of timber and habitat loss. It has been on the endangered list since 1988.
1. Salmon have a streamlined body which helps them swim upstream with the least resistance as possible, so they can conserve energy.
2. Salmon have a single row of razor sharp teeth that allow it to catch and eat their prey very quickly.
3. They have a lateral line system which is an organ made up of sensory hair cells to pick up on the slightest movements of the surrounding water. This helps the salmon hunt and protect itself.
1. One adaptation this elk has made is it's antler which allow it to protect themselves. During mating season, the male elk will fight other male elk over a potential mate.
2. The Roosevelt Elk has special teeth that help it grind up plant so they are easier to digest.
3. The hooves on the elks feet make it easier to walk long distances and to protect it from things on the ground.
1. Black Bears have very long, sharp, and curved claws that they use to help kill prey, open nuts, and climb trees.
2. They have a very good sense of smell. They can smell food and prey miles away. Evidence suggests that they have the best sense of smell in the world.
3. Black Bears have detached lips which enable them to pluck berries and shrubs from trees.
1. These trees have developed adventitious roots which help prevent it from tipping over.
2. Douglas Fir have bark that is twice as thick as other trees to help it withstand heat from wildfires and help it retain water.
3. They develop quickly and live a long time which helps their species survive.
1. Their rhizomes have vascular systems which allow for quick water uptake and mineral transportation.
2. The ferns compounded leaves which means they are capable of holding more chloroplasts and photosynthesis becomes more effective.
3. Their ability to increase in mass allows it to out compete other plants for resources.
1. It has thick waxy needles to prevent water from evaporating.
2. They don't drop their leaves so they don't have to use energy to regrow them.
3. Their leaves adapted to be smaller to limit water loss.