- first king of Franks to convert Christianity.
- Builds military forts under the noses of the roman.
- He continues building his power base
- Charlemagne founded both the French and the German monarchies.
- Charlemagne expanded the frankish empire to rule a large portion of Europe
- brought many reforms to the Franks
- Charlemagne's mother was called "Bigfoot Bertha".
- brought people together by the Holy Roman Empire
Pepin the Short
- Successfully removed the lombards from rome,and gave lands to the pope
- Ties were strengthened between the catholic church and the franks
- Merovingian Dynasty came to an end when he took power with support of the Frankish nobles.
- He promised to offer his protection to the church