What is Carbon Fiber?
Carbon Fiber is a type of composite. A composite is any material made of at least two other materials.
Examples of Carbon Fiber
One example of Carbon Fiber is a snowboard called the mystery board by Burton. This board is fully made of Carbon Fiber; what makes this board very good is that it's very flexible and it's very strong.
Why is Carbon Fiber better than most materials?
- High Strength to weight ratio
- Corrosion resistance
- Electrical Conductivity
- Fatigue Resistance
- Good tensile strength but Brittle
- Fire Resistance/Not flammable
- High Thermal Conductivity in some forms
- Low coefficient of thermal expansion
- Non poisonous
- Biologically inert
- X-Ray Permeable
- Self Lubricating
- Excellent EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) Shielding Property
- Relatively Expensive
- Requires specialized experience and equipment to use.