- Liquid Starch
- Elmer's glue
- Iron Oxide Powder (for magnetic effect)
- Combine 1/2 cup of liquid starch and 1/2 cup of glue in a bowl.
- Add 4 tablespoons of iron oxide and mix with a spoon.
- Take the slime out of the bowl and mix with your hands, then squish the slime until it is well mixed. Your hands will get very black, and you need to wash it off right away.
- Pat the slime dry with a paper towel to get rid of any excess liquid. The finished slime won’t make your hands black. When the slime is dry it is ready to use.
A picture of our slime drying.
1) What does a synthesis chemical reaction look like?
Answer: A synthesis chemical reaction is when two or more elements combine to make one new and more complex substance. It is like adding all the ingredients, mixing them up and creating something new. The chemical equation for this type of reaction is set up like this: A + B= AB.
2) In our experiment we put iron oxide in a recipe for silly putty. When you combine the glue and liquid starch it creates a sticky, squishy substance. We combined the two substances, glue and liquid starch, to create the new and more complex substance that is our slime, demonstrating a synthesis chemical reaction. We also added iron oxide to this slime, although not chemically, in order to make the slime different and fun! The magnetism factor in this demonstration is for a more memorable and interesting presentation.
In this experiment you should expect a dark, sticky, slimy substance. It will not seem like much more than a mess to begin with but after you dry it and let it sit you will have a magnetic slime. The slime it’s self isn’t a magnet but certain magnets are attracted to it. For this type of slime you will not be able to get a magnetic attraction from a refrigerator magnet. You can not use a fridge magnet because they are to weak. You will need to use stronger magnets. It is preferred you use neodymium disc magnets. These magnets are classified as rare earth metals, however you can buy cheaper magnets that are just as strong.
You can also do many more things with this slime. Such as blowing bubbles and coloring with it. However, you can not make it change color by adding food color because the iron oxide is black and it will not change color. Also be sure to be careful when you are blowing bubbles because you don’t want to harm yourself by inhaling or swallowing the slime. Overall be sure to be safe and have fun with the magnetic slime.
As for what chemistry concept this project represents it is a chemical reaction. This is because of the reactants that are used to make something new. All of our ingredients are very different from each other, however when you combine them you get a new substance. The formula for a chemical reaction is A+B=AB. For this particular project your formula is A+B=AB. In conclusion the chemistry concept is a chemical reaction.