Yesterday, I welcomed our Executive Director of Secondary Education and Deputy Superintendent for a tour at Kamiak. They visited classrooms and observed a passing time. They saw the same things that have brought me so much joy in the last week.
We saw students’ smiling eyes. We heard their voices. The friendly noise of students passing friends in the hall made us smile.
In Mrs. Bowker’s English classroom this week, I heard students analyzing 17th century Dutch masters’ art through the lens of contemporary poets. In Mrs. Towle’s Spanish I classroom, I heard students spelling words with one another for the first time. I can’t help but smile knowing how much those students will learn and grow in Spanish this year. I visited Mr. Idrogo’s Visual Communications classroom where students were getting an in-depth preview of the features of the DSLR cameras they will use this year.
We have had a great start to school – let’s keep it going!
- September 15: Handbook Review & Quiz Deadline
- September 15: Financial Aid Advisement Day
- September 17: Photo MAKE-UP Day – for those who have NOT had a photo taken yet. Visit Dorian to place picture orders.
- September 17: Friday Early Release (12:45PM)
- September 17: WSU Regents Scholars Program Submission Deadline
- September 24: Friday Early Release (12:45PM)
- September 24: Freshmen Class Election Packets Due
- September 29: Curriculum Night
- September 29: Final Homecoming Votes
- October 1: Friday Early Release (12:45PM)
- October 4-9: Homecoming Week
- October 8: Friday Early Release (12:45PM)
- October 15: Friday Early Release (12:45PM)
- October 22: Friday Early Release (12:45PM)
- October 29: Photo RETAKE Day – for students requesting a new photo (Must bring the unsatisfactory packet to exchange for the same packet with a new photo), AND for students who have not had a photo taken yet.
Monday - Thursday:
Kamiak homecoming 2021
Theme: Homecoming heroes
Each year, students vote for Kamiak homecoming court. This year, the voting takes place in a new way: electronically. With everyone having laptop access, students will be able to vote online; ensuring that each of our Knights has a chance to vote from anywhere! Our student leaders have created categories for our court based on the Theme, "Homecoming Heroes.” There will be opportunities for nomination from every grade level in the next few weeks, and teachers and students will be allowed to nominate up to four (4) Kamiak Knights per category. Final voting will take place no later than September 29th. Look out for nomination details coming your way soon.
Who's your hero?!
- Kindness: someone who goes out of their way to show kindness to others.
- Academics: someone who challenges themselves academically.
- Overall school involvement: someone who is involved in lots of school activities including athletics, performing arts, clubs, and ASB
- School Spirit: someone who goes all out for spirit
- Inclusivity: someone who makes an effort to include all students.
- Rising Star: someone who has shown potential to impact Kamiak in great ways.
- Mentorship: someone who has taken it upon themselves to be a mentor to our younger grades and help them along the way.
Questions? Email Sasha Fraleigh at firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Handbook Review
Today teachers showed a four-minute introduction video to our annual Student Handbook Review. All students are completing the annual Handbook Review & Quiz before Wednesday, September 15. Students are completing this review as an independent/homework activity that takes approximately 15 minutes.
Friday, Sept. 17
Photo make-up day for those who have NOT had a photo taken yet.
attention 9th graders
are you interested in running for freshmen class office?
Class Election packets are now available in the Main Office. Please watch this recording which gives you everything you need to know about elections BEFORE picking up a packet. Packets are due September 24th. If you have any questions please see Mrs. Stengele in P16 or message her on Schoology.
Seniors & Juniors may purchase and receive year-long parking permits from the bookkeeping office. The following requirements must be met for parking passes:
- Obtain an ASB validation for the 2021-2022 school year (FREE this year)
- Provide a valid driver’s license
- Provide vehicle license plate numbers (2 vehicles maximum)
- Provide proof of current insurance on the listed vehicle(s)
- Parking agreement signed at the time of purchase, therefore a parent or other “representative” may not purchase the permit for the student
- Have a separate check for $45 made out to Kamiak High School for a parking permit
Please make sure your student has purchased their parking permit. Beginning Monday, September 13, security will begin issuing parking tickets to vehicles without a parking permit.
reset your password
Your Mukilteo School district password was reset at the end of August. If you have already reset your password you do not need to complete this step a second time.
Your Default Password for the 2021/2022 school year is: uppercase letter ‘P’, lowercase letter ‘w’, 8-digit birthdate. Example: Samuel L. Jackson’s password would be: Pw12211948
If you are having trouble with your password reset, please stop by the library.
EVERY knight gets a laptop!
Great news! As you have probably heard, Kamiak will check out a new, school issued Dell computer to every student for use this school year! If you have not checked out a computer and charging cord yet, please have a parent or guardian sign the Computer Checkout Form and bring it to school with you to check one out. You can pick up the form in the library if you don't have one. School-issued devices come pre-loaded with all of the necessary software needed for school and are supported by the District when problems arise.
You don’t want to miss out on a Kamiak Yearbook. You can purchase your Yearbook through the Bookkeeping Office – before or after school or during lunch. The cost is $50 and payable by cash, debit/credit card (check payable to Kamiak High School). Note: Yearbooks are sold by pre-order and must be purchased before Winter Break in December.
The Activity Bus will be available to students Monday through Thursday. Remember that you need a bus pass to ride the Activity Bus. Bus passes will be given by your activity advisor. Bus leaves from the Bus Zone at approximately 4:05 P.M.
CCRC Counselor: Mr. Stelling
Make an appointment with Mr. Stelling for help with:
- Running Start
- College Admissions
- Post High School Plans
- Career Exploration through Personality Traits
- Anything else we can help you with!
Financial Aid Advisement Day
Webinar on September 15th @ 6 pm
Financial aid is important for all seniors and their families for those considering any type of schooling after graduation. Please join us for Financial Aid Advisement Day webinar to learn about the senior timeline for applying for financial aid and how to do it. Many scholarships are decided based on your financial aid information. The webinar will be live on September 15th at 6 pm and you will have the opportunity to ask questions at the end of the presentation. The Financial Aid Webinar will be recorded.
Questions? Email Bryan Stelling at email@example.com
THE WSU REGENTS SCHOLARS PROGRAM
Kamiak Seniors: The WSU Regents Scholars Program nomination process is underway. This is a great scholarship opportunity for Kamiak Seniors who are considering attending WSU after graduation and have a 3.6 or higher GPA.
Contact Mrs. Chang in the Kamiak Career & College Readiness Center (CCRC) if you would like to be considered for nomination.
Deadline to submit your name: September 17, 2021
Ms. Brittany Armstrong, RN, ARNP, Kamiak High School Nurse, (425) 366-5409
COVID Safety at Kamiak
Now that the school year has begun, we want to take the opportunity to share an update with our community regarding our COVID safety protocols. We are pleased to share some of what we have observed in the days since school started.
Our COVID site protocols are similar to what students experienced when they returned to in-person learning last spring. That means, for many students, the COVID protocols in place are familiar:
- We are all required to wear masks at all times, unless taking a supervised mask break. Students have consistently met this expectation and we are all proud of them!
- Social distancing requirements are enforced all around campus. Here at school, students must be no less than three feet away from each other whenever and wherever possible. This is measured “nose to nose” or “belly to belly.” We still continue to emphasize the opportunities to be further apart than three feet. Students and staff have done remarkably well with moving furniture so that we are maximizing safe distance in classrooms, where students spend the most time together.
- We are mindful of time spent near one another, which is a factor in determining ‘close contact.’ Though students may pass closer than three feet, students are doing well at not lingering for long periods of time. Students take down their masks to eat/drink, and they are doing well with pulling masks back up when they are finished. Everyone is doing well with prompting each other regarding masking.
- We have many layers of safety (for example: wearing masks, social-distancing, washing hands, and contact time). Our best defense is that students and staff stay home when they feel sick. Families are overwhelmingly supportive of this strategy. As yet we haven’t had COVID spread in the building.
It is not our practice to share information with the Kamiak community unless it directly relates to specific individuals. But, we think it is important that we tell you how we respond when concerns arise. We are thankful for our families who call and share information about their children so we can proactively work together. When you call, we will gather information and use county health guidance to determine when students can return to school. We will also collect information about close contacts so we can complete contact tracing. When a student comes to school and shows any possible COVID symptoms, we isolate and our school nurse evaluates the student, and families are contacted to come pick up their child. We are grateful to all have ensured we have updated contact information. If you need to update your contact information, pick up a Contact Information Form in the Counseling Office.
Brittany Armstrong-Hoss (Nurse, RN, ARNP)
Stephen Shurtleff (Principal, COVID Site Supervisor)
School Health Room Supplies
Does your child have a medical condition the school should be aware of? During the first few days of school, your student will receive a packet with health history forms that you may complete and return to Kamiak. You can also contact the Nurse directly via email at ArmstrongHossBA@mukilteo.wednet.edu, if your student has any serious medical conditions or needs a health plan that may include medication, treatment, or safety instructions.
You can find forms here. Please drop off health forms and medications to Ms. Armstrong, our School Nurse, in Kamiak's counseling office next week.
Cloth Masks Available
Do you need any cloth masks? Kamiak has masks for free, for students who need them.
Who’s My Counselor?
Counselors are assigned based on the alpha of the student’s last name as follows:
The Weight Room is open to all Kamiak students Monday through Thursday from 2pm to 3:45pm for Open Conditioning. Our activity bus arrives on campus at 4pm. Remember that face coverings are required in the weight room during Open Conditioning.
open to all Kamiak students
Open Gyms will be hosted on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning on September 14th from 7pm to 8:30pm in the Main or Aux gym. Face coverings are required for open gyms by all participants.
Please follow kamiak athletics:
This month, Sideline Store is offering 15% off on your purchase of $85 or more! The below promotion is good for the entire month of September. This will end on 9/30/21 at 11:59PM EST.
Here are your next steps:
- Simply download the graphic below (on your mobile phone you can copy the image)
- Post the graphic to your social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Send announcement via newsletter, email or website newsfeed
- That’s it! You’re done!
For more information, contact SidelineSupport@BSNSports.com
become a kabc member
Kamiak Athletic Booster Club has been a tremendous partner over the years in providing our student-athletes with a great high school athletic experience and providing many College scholarships to deserving Senior student-athletes. Kamiak Athletics may need to rely more heavily upon KABC for financial support for our team budgets in the near future until we can return fully to normal operating conditions. We hope that day is coming soon! If you haven’t become a KABC member yet, then please consider doing so today. KABC is looking for people to get involved and volunteer on its Board of Directors. A few of the open positions available are General Board Member, Volunteer Coordinator, and Webmaster. For more information visit the KABC website.
We are so appreciative and grateful for your continued support of Kamiak Athletics and KABC.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
District mobile app!
- You can select schools in our district to follow.
- Easy access to the staff directory, Schoology, school calendars, news & school social media feeds.
- Other frequently accessed webpages and tools.
- Families require a separate login to access student-specific information.
- Passwords were sent from a parentlink.net email address.
- If you did not receive your login, please email email@example.com.
Guardians will receive separate logins so they can manage their own app preferences independently, including message preferences of what kinds of messages you receive. Want to avoid non-emergency/attendance phone calls and just receive emails and texts? You can set those preferences in the app.
Click the button below to view the history of family messages that have been distributed by the Mukilteo School District:
Staying informed by the school and your student's teachers is essential during remote learning. If you have not been receiving communications from Kamiak High School, please ensure your information is correct in Family Access.