What are the costs for PSPL Surf Academy players?
The selected Academy players pay $500 program participation fee. These fees cover field costs, training, coaches’ fees, administrative fees, and daily operations of the Surf Academy. Tournament costs vary according to age group within the Academy. Scholarships are available on an as needed basis for any player who applies and provides supporting documents.
Which age groups will compete in the PSPL Surf Academy?
The Academy is split by gender into 5 age divisions; 2002 Girls and Boys, 2003 Girls and Boys, 2004 Girls and Boys, 2005 Girls and Boys, 2006 Girls and Boys. Surf Juniors is broken up into East and West Girls and Boys 2007, 2008 age groups.
How many players will be selected for the Academy pools?
• Birth Year 2008 pool - 24 players (9v9 format) 24-30 in East and in West
• Birth Year 2007 pool - 34 to 38 players (11v11 format)
• Birth Year 2006 pool - 36 players
• Birth Year 2005 pool - 36 players
• Birth Year 2004 pool - 24 to 32 players
• Birth Year 2003 pool - up to 28 players
• Birth Year 2002 pool - up to 28 players
Tournament rosters typically have 16-18 total players on them.
How are Academy players selected?
The PSPL Surf Academy has tryout sessions for players to be selected across the state for each age group in the Surf Academy program.
Training opportunities are also available for identified or recommended players by respective club directors for potential inclusion into the age group pool. The PSPL Surf Academy holds open tryouts in November and December of each year.