This has been a long but interesting project. To me, Typography is an expansion of what we learnt in the Logo Design Project- we work to design the layout and shape of the letters on a space to convey a desired message/feeling/reaction but we have a better understanding of how we achieve what we want. The Logo Design Project was just the basics, now we're learning about more complicated things. The Typography Project has been a mix of different things to do with typography.
Before starting with the main part of this project, we were given the task to find and take pictures of letters that we can find in real life at school and at home. This concept was interesting and it was a challenge that tested our creativity to seek out letters formed by objects such as the metal support on the side of a library chair (left poster) forming the shape of a "K". My Mum joined me in my search at home- she found that the idea was "something new" and amusing. I infer that the purpose of this task was to make us aware that letters are just shapes and they can be formed in any way as long as they are recognizable.
Grungevetica Poster Part 1
We were properly introduced to this topic by starting off with a task: to distort but maintain the recognizability of the world famous font Helvetica (hence the name of this project is Grungevetica). We were each given several sheets with the word Helvetica printed repetitively and we were told to "distort it"- we would later convert our physically distorted Helveticas into a digital format in Illustrator- which I have forgotten how to do (since it was a long time ago). I found that this was a good exercise as it was hands-on. Instead of jumping right into our computers and instantly using the tools readily available to our disposal, we had to think more to find our own ways of distorting Helvetica and this involved more reflection and in my opinion, a better way of learning.
Grungevetica Poster Part 2
Grungevetica Poster Part 4
Before making our Grungevetica Poster thumbnails, we browsed the website typo/graphic posters.com for inspiration.
Grungevetica Poster Part 5
After finding inspiration from typo/graphic posters.com we started working on or thumbnails. They were very much like the thumbnails we did for our Logo Design Project. I've pasted in mini versions of the typographic posters that I was most inspired by to show where I've developed my ideas from and I've pasted in a mini version of one of my physically distorted Helveticas to show what I intend my letters to look like. When I found an idea that I was really fond of, I developed it further on another sheet of A3 paper. I fiddled around with geometrical-like designs as I like the effect and I find that it does add on to the distortion. I also looked at other possibilities with the use of my distorted Helveticas.
On a day that our teacher was absent and to ensure that we were still learning, we were given the task of making a mindmap whilst watching a video about the history of Helvetica and to create an infographic about the most important aspects of our findings. This gave me insight as to why the font Helvetica played a big role in the beginning of this unit and why it is so recognized across the world.
Face Letters (Typographic Portraits) Part 1
I really liked this part of the unit as I never considered the idea of making portraits out of font letters. After working on this project, my mind was more open to ways in which graphic artists produce art compared to ways in which fine art artists produce art. I've noticed that using different types of font changes the overall effect of a same image: Such as the image to the left and the image in the center are both identical but the one to the left uses the Helvetica font and the one to the right uses the Sans Serif font.
Face Letters (Typographic Portraits) Part 2
I found this printing exercise quite fun. While doing this, I realized that using quite a bit of ink and applying a lot of pressure produces better results. I still think I could do better with pressing the ink onto the paper- the method of using a spoon to rub the ink in is interesting but it takes a while as it has a relatively small surface area. However, I do like the way my portraits have turned out on paper.
Face Letters (Typographic Portraits) Part 3
Now it was time to start adding text effects to our typographic portraits. I enjoy these lessons as I feel satisfied when I have followed a tutorial well. I chose relatively easy tutorials as when I attempted more difficult ones, I found that they didn't look really good with my typographic portraits- the more simple, the better.