Who are the creative drivers?
- Lawrence Bender produced the film.
- Quentin Tarantino directed and wrote the film.
- Won an Academy Award for Best Original screenplay.
- Transmedia is shown through the three stories of a mobster, boxer and small-time criminals and how they connect through a series of events.
What is the genre ?
Pulp Fiction incorporates multiple genres such as :
- Comedy & Black Comedy
iNTENDED AUDIENCE AND UNDERLINING THEMES :
- The intended audience of the film is people aged 18 and over
- One of the major underlying themes of pulp fiction is the constant underlying lesson that all actions have consequences and all consequences have their repercussions
- The first consequence that is shown on screen is seen through the character of Vincent Vega
- He has been asked to take out Mrs Wallace on a date and keep her company whilst her gangster husband, Marcellus Wallace (their Boss) is out of town
- Vega disregards his warnings from Jules and goes to his drug dealers house to purchase top line heroin. Heroin which Mrs Wallace mistakes for cocaine and accidentally snorts and near instantly overdoses.
- She is saved by Vincent with a shot of adrenaline to the heart.
- Throughout “The Gold Watch” story, Butch is faced with 2 very large decisions which shape what comes next.
- The first consequence that is faced by Butch is when he accidentally murders one of Marcellus’s men in the 3rd round of
- A fixed boxing match in which Butch was supposed to lose in the 5th round.
- Butch’s choice to run leads him to having to choose again, and results in his second consequence.
- Butch hits Marcellus with his car, which then leads into a car chase which ends in a pawn shop owned by Maynard.
- Maynard and his co- captor Zed then take the two men as their hostages. As Zed begins to rape Marcellus, Butch breaks free from his ties
- As Butch leaves to make his escape he hears Marcellus’ screams.
- He re-enters the basement he kills Maynard with a Katana and releases Marcellus.
- As a token of his appreciation Marcellus tells Butch that as long as he never speaks a word of what had occurred and leaves Los Angeles they were even.
- Every decision that faces butch throughout the film only leads to negative consequences
Who is the target audience ?
- Teenagers and Adults
- Due to the explicit language, violence and sexual references.
What is the purpose of the program?
- This film is to entertain and educate.
- Nonlinear narrative helps us focus on character development rather than story
- Each character represents a method of viewing the world
- Expresses social themes through the use of mise-en-scene
- References to television shows, used as a social commentary on the impact of television on society
- Use of distinctive narrative and visual techniques in order to convey the films meaning
- Tarantino makes the audience realise that film is an ‘Art’.
- Pulp Fiction reaches the audience who are into crime stories with well written dialogue.
- The narrative structure is unconventional as it tells the different stories in an episodic form, breaking traditional narration conventions.
- The cinematography has frequent shots of two or more people, from a side view or full frontal shot
- One shot that doesn’t give a full view, is when Marsellus Wallace and Butch are first seen talking.
- Fade in and fade out of different story episodes
- Title cards when transitioning into a new part of the story
- Heighten tension
- Reflect characters’ mood
- Respect is a major theme within Pulp Fiction
- Costumes help give the characters different portrays
In conclusion, it has been clearly demonstrated that Pulp Fiction is a movie that not only succeeds in entertaining its chosen audience but also is able to use film editing to help tell its story.