Under the Sea Rollercoaster: The Design Process
1. Define the Problem- Our rollercoaster assignment came with an abundance of criteria and constraints. For my evidence of this step, I created a design brief attached below.
Generate concepts- At this step we began brainstorming! Our most important decision was the theme. For our evidence of this step, we created a decision matrix.
3. Develop a solution- At this point we were ready to create a plan for our roller coaster. Our (first) plan was to use two pipes to act as support for a giant foam ball as the body of a jellyfish. Our technical drawing is included below.
4. Construct and test a prototype- At this point, we ran into an abundance of problems. The first problem we ran into was getting the foam ball. We were an able to find one big enough and had to come up with a different idea instead. Our next idea was used in the final project- we cut and glued a hula hoop and cardboard together! We were glad to have found a solution, but unfortunately we ran into a bigger problem. The pipes wouldn't work. They fell over and weighted the project down. First, we tried to use boxes to stand it up but that didn't work. Before we could begin testing the track, we needed a support for the roller coaster.
5. Evaluate the situation- At this point we needed to figure out a new support system and get working on our track. After evaluating the situation, we decided to go back to step three.
3. Develop a solution (again)- So after a little trial and error we recognized what we needed to fix in order to make a sturdy project. Thus, we made another technical drawing except this time adding boxes instead of pipes.
4. Construct and test prototype (again)- This time we followed the new design and made a sturdy structure that worked perfectly! We didn't build the track perfectly on the first try though. We had to experiment with loops and turns. Yet, by the end we concluded that "cardboard is always the answer!" And the marble stayed on the track!
5. Evaluate the solution (again)- This time, when we evaluated the situation we had very few changes. We tweaked the decorations a bit and a few loops but that's it!
6. Present the solution- During our presentation to the class, we didn't make it into the cup on the first try, but it got there within a minute of testing! We did it!