Epic content marketing in action
The content that you read every day. What make them so special? Do they provide the information that you can´t find anywhere else? Are they constant in delivering at the same day and at the same time?
The perfect content product
Jason Calacanis “He believes in the perfect content product: real time, fact driven, visual, efficient, and curated.
Epic content marketing process
Now that the understanding of Epic Content Marketing is the marketer or small business owner to make the process. Pullizzi made this guideline of the process.
- The goal or objective
- Defining the audience
- Understanding how the audience buys
- Choosing your content niche
- Developing your content marketing mission statement
"If a person doesn't´t have a goal, there cannot be failure"
- Business owners and marketing manages must have at least one tangible goal.
content marketing funnel
Content as an asset
“Assets are a resource with economic value that a corporation wins or controls with the expectation that it will provide future benefit”
- An investment is a purchase that can increase in value over time.
- Acquiring the asset of content.
- You are not acquitting content expenses. You are acquiring an asset.
- Thinking like a publisher:
“The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.” (Isaac Asimov)
- The target is not the owner
- Determine who is your audience and then what do you want them to do?
- As a marketer, research your target and why this person is going to read your content
- Common mistakes when creating personas
Setting up listening posts
Listening as wide a variety of sources as possible so you can find the truth
- One on one conversations
- Search of keywords- google trends
- Web analytics- google analytics
- Social media listening- linkedin groups or twitter
- Customer surveys- surveymonkey
- The engagement cycle is a combination of your internal sales process and how you have defined the customer´s buying cycle
CONTENT SEGMENTATION GRID
• The content segmentation grip is a mash up of your sales process and the content you have that moves customers through that process
Map the personas to their buying cycle
- The buying cycle is represented as an orbit because process consumers move closer to the center of gravity.
Create the customer content segmentation grid
In the end, creating an engagement cycle and mapping that with the personas to create a complete content segmentation grid is a powerful way to see where are gaps in the story
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch you must first create the universe" (Dr. Carl Sagan) Astronomer.
Getting uncomfortable with your niche
• The 10x rule by Grand Cardone- Setting uncomfortable goals
“Those who succeed were at one point or another in their lives- willing to put themselves in situations that were uncomfortable, whereas the unsuccessful seek comfort from all their decisions”
- If you are not striving to be the go to number one resource for your industry niche, you are settling for the comfortable.
What if your content was gone?
- Would anyone miss it? Would you leave a gap in the market place?
The trusted expert
- becoming the trusted expert in your industry is central to you selling more on a consistent basis.
Thinking big, going small
- Think very well about your niche
- You can use search trends to identify content opportunities for your niche area
How we chose content marketing as our content niche?
• The smaller you go with your content niche, the higher the payoff in the long run
"I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure, which is: Try to please everybody" (Herbert B. Swope). American journalist
- A mission statement is a company´s reason for existence.
- Why do we exist?
- Why must come before the what
Why INC. succeed?
welcome to the inc.com the place were entrepreneurs and business owners can find useful information, advice, insights, resources and inspiration for running and growing their businesses.
Their mission includes:
- The core audience target: Entrepreneurs and business owners
- What material will be delivered to the audience: Useful information, advice, insights, resources, and inspiration
- The outcome for the audience: Growing their businesses
Inc´s mission statement is incredibly simple. Simplicity is key for how to use content marketing mission statement.
Authority to publish
• When you develop the mission statement, be sure that the content around which you create stories is an area in which you truly have expertise.
CM mission best practices
• Content marketing is not about what you sell, it is about what you stand for.
What do you need to do with your mission statement?
• Post it: Display the mission statement where it can be found easily
• Spread it: Make sure everyone involved in your content marketing process
• The litmus test: Use the mission statement to decide what content you will and won’t create.
Matching with the business objective.
- American express in 2013: OPEN forum
- American express as the trusted expert to small business owners.
The sweet spot
- The sweet spot is the intersection between your customers.
- Where you have the most authority with your stories
In order to do content marketing successfully:
a) People to do it
b) Roles and responsibilities for those people to fill
c) A schedule by which the tasks are fulfilled (editorial calendars)
d) Rules and guidelines
Assembling a team with specific roles and responsibilities
CHIEF CONTENT OFFICER
A code of ethics in the content marketing
- The code of transparency, ethics and the credibility of branded content
Content or media types are not channels like LinkedIn, Although some like blogs cna means both content type and a channel
"A blog offers and easy way to present brief chunks of frequently refreshed web content" (Joe Pulizzi)
Three key play points
- Encourage conversations
- Be a good "netizen"- participate in other blogs
- Loosen up - be authentic
Deloitte Debates : posts weekly debates, pro and con, on business and finance issues. Deloitte provides lively and thoughtful discussions
10 blogging tips to remember
- Use killer titles: Focus in important key words, think about the problem, numbers rule
- Focus on the problem: What are the pain points of your target reader?
- Less is more: Short, instructive, and to the point
- Think fist about the call to action: for example, Download or content, join us on Twitter, ask a question, sing up for our free webinar.
- Think "content packages"
- Spread the love - guest blogging: target top 15 blogs and offer to do relevant guest posts
- Promote key influencers with lists
- Measure: Visits and unique visitor, page views, time on site, signups to your e-newsletter, search rankings, inbound links to your blog
- Do an influencer question-and answer session
- Outsource: More than 50 % of companies of all sizes outsource their content marketing, find a good writer to help you, Find a content agency or content team to take your blogging to the next level.