To help imagine the future space, Ittner Architects put together several conceptual renderings to provide an idea of what the finished projects will look like upon completion sometime in late Summer or early Fall 2020.
Renderings include concepts of a new, secure building entrance; student commons and library areas; and new gym.
On Saturday, June 1st, members of the Brentwood School District community gathered for an official Groundbreaking Ceremony to mark the start of construction on the Middle and High School projects.
This marks the start of major renovations to the campus that will include new safety features, new science labs, new commons/library space, and more. Students, parents, and administrators attended the ceremony, along with the Brentwood Alumni Association, members of the Board of Education, and the Mayor. “This is the result of the community coming together,” said Board of Education Vice President Jamie Allen. “We want to sincerely thank you all for supporting this district and our students.”
June - July 2019
In order to cause as little disruption as possible during the school year, summer 2019 was utilized to begin major construction initiatives in parts of the building such as the library, cafeteria and gym.
This allowed some of the most invasive parts of the projects to be completed before students arrived in August.
Affectionately labeled "Basket-brary" by Librarian Libby Wilson, the temporary home for the MS/HS library for the 2019-2020 school year was fully assembled by August 2019. The space provides a quiet atmosphere with all the usual library amenities, including bookshelves, worktables, and computer lab.
Traffic and Parking
With construction impacting parking spaces, staff and the community were provided an update on what to expect with parking. Staff were provided with parking options near campus by utilizing space near McGrath Elementary - just a short walk from the MS/HS Campus.
Additionally, letters were sent to the homes around the construction area to provide a detailed update an plan related to traffic in the area.
The new cafeteria space welcomed students in the first week of school, returning to full service by the second week.
In addition to providing a more comfortable place for students, the new cafeteria itself has several new upgrades, including:
- New station line up that includes a deli bar (opening soon) offering custom sandwiches and a floating salad bar where fruit and veggie sides are offered.
- The fruit and veggie cold bar provides many additional benefits, including a reduction in plastic waste by not individually cupping all fruits and vegetables while also providing a much cleaner and more pleasing look to our fruit and vegetable options. Students are already taking vegetables more frequently than in the past. Greater acceptance of food items reduces food waste/carbon footprint and saves the district money.
- The new deli bar includes an oven that will allow for toasted sandwiches. This feature will be available once the deli line is established.
- New open concept serving lines allow students to move around freely to view offerings at various stations instead of getting stuck in one line without seeing other options.
- All of our grilled sandwiches are now pre-assembled, wrapped, and self serve. This will make line flow at one of our most popular stations significantly faster.
Anticipated Completion: Late October/November 2019
One of the priorities for Fall 2019 is completion of the gymnasium. As soon as floors are installed and sealed, students will have access to this space for practices and PE classes.
To finalize the gym, new bleachers, signage, locker rooms, and scoreboards will be installed.
Finally, new locker rooms and the mezzanine should be completed shortly after the gym is finalized - sometime in Late October or Early November 2019.
UPDATE: Due to delays with delivery of the gym flooring and bleachers, the entire gym space will be ready for the public later in November. Arrangements have been made for PE classes and student athletes. The gym should be ready in time for competition season later this year.
Commons & Library
Anticipated Summer 2020
A completely new commons and library space will provide students with ample room to study, meet for clubs, and collaborate on projects. Additionally, the space will be available to the community for use after-school hours for meeting rooms or community events.
Created with an image by Tim Mossholder - "untitled image"