Today we will talk about
- What is memory ?
- The difference between focused and diffused thinking
- What is working memory?
- Some strategies that can help students to remember things better
What is memory ?
Memory refers to the processes that are used to acquire, and it is the sum total of what we remember (Cherry, 2016)
The difference between focused and diffused thinking. The focused mode is when you concentrate in important details in your mind and try to solve the problems, while diffused is a more relaxed state of mind and settles into a mindset where one cannot think sharply.
Working memory is an important process for reasoning and the guidance of decision making and behavior.
Some strategies that can help you remember
- Chunking. Taking a big piece of information and dissecting them into parts, and this will make it easier to digest and memorise.(Elaine McEwan,2007)
- Understanding. It is a known fact that if you thoroughly understand the material you will be able to remember or be reminded of things.(Elaine McEwan,2007)
SHORT TERM MEMORY
- Limited information. Limited information suggests that one can hold a certain number of information (Cherry, 2016)
- Forgetting. While using the short term memory one forgets after having the information contained fulfill their role.(Cherry, 2016)
LONG TERM MEMORY
- Storing information for a long period of time.(Cherry, 2016)
- Outside of our awareness(Cherry, 2016)
- Relatively easy to recall, but important information take priority.(Cherry, 2016)
H. (n.d.). How Does Your Long-Term Memory Work? Retrieved November 16, 2016, from https://www.verywell.com/what-is-long-term-memory-2795347
Examined Existence. (2015, August 4). Focused Mode Versus Diffused Mode of Thinking: Why You Need Both. Retrieved from examinedexistence: http://examinedexistence.com/focused-mode-versus-diffused-mode-of-thinking-why-you-need-both/