1. Telegraphs- they allowed people to communicate across vast distances by sending coded signals over wires.
2. Gail Borden Jr.- the newspaper was founded by him; a dairy farmer.
3. Hermann Lungwitz- a respected artist.
4. Spirituals- religious folk songs.
5. Abolition- an end to slavery.
6. Texans in the 1850s supported the idea of education.
7. Some towns built schools which were often one room cabins.
8. Slaves worked at least six days a week but most had Sunday off.
9. A typical breakfast might include corn bread, coffee and sometimes bacon.
10. Slaves' clothes was generally made of rough, cheap fabric.