Hello! My name is Jake Kelso and I'm a student in the Interdisciplinary Studies program at University of Central Florida. My two main areas of study are Education and Communications with a minor in Business. I was born in Cleveland, Ohio and moved to South Florida in 2003. I am a member of the Sigma Chi Fraternity here at UCF and some of my interests include basketball and music. After graduation, I plan on pursuing a career in social media management or public relations. I am also considering starting my own business or teaching elementary school students. The main purpose of my portfolio is to give a brief backstory of my life and interests. My intended audience is potential employers, co-workers and current UCF students. The 4 main sections of my portfolio are my bio, education, employment history, and plans for the future.
Courses for Business Minor
• ACG 2021: Principles of Financial Accounting (Spring 2015 Mixed) – This course taught me how to put financial reports together and understand business transactions.
• MAN 3025: Management of Organizations (Fall 2015 Mixed) – In this course I learned different management styles/theories and how to manage employees in a company.
• MAR 3023: Marketing (Fall 2015 Mixed) – In this course I learned to understand many marketing concepts and terms. It also taught me the importance of marketing to a corporation.
• ACG 2071: Principles of Managerial Accounting (Spring 2016 Mixed) – In this course I learned different accounting procedures and concepts that relate to the operations of a business.
• ECO 3411: Quantitative Business Tools II (Spring 2016 Mixed) – This course showed me how to use methods involving statistic to analyze economic problems.
Courses for Communications
• COM 3003: Exploring Human Communication (Spring 2017 Mixed)
• COM 4461: Intercultural Communication (Spring 2017 F2F)
Planned Courses for Communications
• ADV 3008: Principles of Advertising (Summer 2017 F2F)
• COM 3013: Communication and the family (Summer 2017 F2F)
• COM 3332: Communication Technology and Change (Fall 2017 F2F)
Courses for Education
• EDF 2005: Intro to the Teaching Profession (Spring 2017 F2F)
• EDF 2007: Intro to Substitute Teaching (Spring 2017 Web)
Planned Courses for Education
• ATR 2010C: Athletic Training (Summer 2017 F2F)
• EDG 4410: Teaching Strategies and Classroom Management (Summer 2017 F2F)
• EME 2040: Introduction to Technology for Educators (Fall 2017 F2F)
Other Planned Courses
• IDS 4934: Capstone Experience (Fall 2017 F2F)
• FIN 3403: Business Finance (Fall 2017 Mixed)
I intend to integrate my coursework leading up to Capstone by taking what I’ve learned in my previous classes and applying to my future courses. I have chosen Communications and Education because I enjoy working with children and feel that I would be good at teaching them values and a good foundation. I also enjoy communicating with people and believe that I am good at relating through empathy. I want to take athletic training in case I go into teaching physical education or coaching basketball. I am also very interested in the future of advertising, which excites me for ADV 3008. The reason I want to take Communication Technology and Change as well as Introduction to Technology for Educators is because I enjoy technology and how far we’ve come in the past few years.
GILT NIGHTCLUB, Orlando, FL
Security/Door, September 2016-Now
• Working security/door at GILT Nightclub requires me to ensure the safety of all customers.
• I check our guest’s photo ID at the door and give them a band if they are 21 years of age or older.
• If there are problems with any guests I am to resolve them buy either controlling the situation or escorting them off of the premises.
• I am to look out for underage drinkers and escort them out of the club and throw away their drinks.
COCONUT COVE RECREATION CENTER, Boca Raton, FL
Lifeguard, May 2012 – August 2016
• As a lifeguard, I am responsible for enforcing the rules and monitoring the water for distressed swimmers.
• I am CPR certified and I’m a first responder in the case of an emergency.
• Examining injured persons, using medical equipment to administer first aid or cardiopulmonary resuscitation are some of my responsibilities.
• In the case of a serious injury, my job is to contact emergency medical personnel.
MISSION BAY TENNIS CENTER, Boca Raton, FL
Cashier and Maintenance Worker, Jan 2010 – May 2013
• As a cashier I would receive cash and credit payments.
• I would place charges on account for tennis members.
• As customers entered the shop I would greet them and ring up their purchases.
• Members could call ahead and I would reserve court times for them.
• I enforced the guest sign-in procedure and guest fee.
• As a maintenance worker I would provide grounds keeping services.
• Every morning I would clean the courts and fill the water coolers.
• I was responsible for court maintenance and repairs to equipment.
AMERICAN HERITAGE SUMMER CAMP, Delray Beach, FL
Camp Counselor, May 2009 – Aug 2010
• Working as a camp counselor, my coworkers and I were responsible for supervising our group of 30 kindergarteners (age 5-6).
• I helped teach my campers how to play sports such as basketball, baseball, football, soccer, archery, swimming and hockey.
West Boca Raton Community High School, Boca Raton, FL
High School Diploma completed Accounting Program
University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
Interdisciplinary Studies Student in Communications/Education with a Business Minor, Expected graduation, December 2017
• I am a strong leader and enjoy working as part of a team.
• I get along great with others and am very sociable.
• I am a hard worker and self-motivated.
• I have an expansive interest in music, movies and sports.
• I have been to many concerts including Foo Fighters, U2, Elton John, The Who, The Strokes, The Black Keys, Jack White, The Pixies, Royal Blood, Arctic Monkeys, alt-J, Band of Skulls, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, Skrillex, Frank Ocean, The Flaming Lips, Fitz and the Tantrums, Cake, Grouplove, Chvrches, Cage the Elephant, Chance the Rapper, Glitch Mob, Sam Smith, Vance Joy, Nothing But Thieves, Cheyrl Crow, Banks, Ice Cube, Pusha T, Kaskade, Disclosure, Zedd, Broken Bells, Pitbull, Wiz Khalifa, Drake, Lil Wayne, Kanye West, The Smashing Pumpkins, Marilyn Manson, Bonnaroo, The Big Guava Festival, Electric Daisy Carnival and Ultra Musical Festival.
I have tailored my resume for my application to Live Nation, which is an entertainment company that hosts many concerts in the Orlando area as well as across America. I have included my past work experience that I believe would help give me the advantage over my competition. I also listed my skills that I feel would be an asset to Live Nation. I listed my interests as all of the concerts I have been to in order to show them that I am a true music enthusiast and would fit in well with their company culture. My results of my personality type are INFP; introvert, intuitive, feeler and perceiver. I think that this connects with my chosen career because I am a feeler and truly appreciate music and the art of performing.
The link listed above will take you to prezi.com where my team and I have put together the Final Presentation for our Integrated business technologies course. We conducted our semester long project on my current place of employment, GILT Nightclub. We used social media marketing along with IFC technology to increase their overall profits and customer awareness.
Me, my sister and little cousin in Denver, Colorado
I have really enjoyed my IDS 3933 course taught by Dr. Sharon Woodill. I have learned a lot about my new interdisciplinary studies major and how I can integrate my two areas of study together with my minor. Working on the group project in this class taught me how to interact with different people to accomplish a common goal. I have learned a lot of interesting things throughout the semester and look forward to taking Capstone in the Fall.