Before we begin, take a few moments to think about the terms intrapersonal communication and interpersonal communication. What do you think these terms mean, how are they alike and similar?
Is often called the Psychology of Human Communication since it involves many personal and psychological factors. Let's explore some of the factors now:
Video Source: [melissa de los reyes]. (2016, July 25). Intrapersonal communication 1.2 [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by7E5qKxepE
- Self-Image: This deals with the personal beliefs we have about ourselves and who we think we are. Additionally, self-image includes our beliefs about what our communication style is like. Reflection: How does your self-image impact the communication process in your organization?
- Introvert or Extrovert: We all fall into one of these categories, which one are you? If you are an introvert, you will typically prefer to work independently as opposed to extroverts who typically prefer to work with other people. Reflection: What are some of the advantages and disadvantages to both of these terms in an organization?
- Psychological Belief Set: Refers to our personal beliefs about the world including our beliefs, attitudes and values. Reflection: There are five coworkers with drastically different beliefs. What are some strategies these coworkers should develop that will allow them to work effectively, without confrontation?
- Locus of Control and Self-Efficacy: Locus of Control refers to the amount of personal control we have regarding a situation. Self-Efficacy refers to our personal belief that we can successfully accomplish our goals. Reflection: How can a low self-efficacy negatively impact your success in an organization?
- Empathy: Is when you show you have an understanding for a person or understand what they are going through. Reflection: Explain how having empathy or a lack of empathy will impact an organization.
- Emotional States: Regardless of the type of emotion you have, it will have an impact in your organization one way or another. Reflection: How have your emotions (or the emotions of your coworkers) impacted your organization?
Includes communication between two or more individuals. In interpersonal communication, people are challenged to work together despite all of the different mindsets to create a mutual understanding.
Video Source: [gunslinger0011]. (2016, January 7). Interpersonal communication in workplace: Importance [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tG9YHeZT2A&t=67s
Do you really think you are an active listener? Actively listening is a very important skill to have; unfortunately, not many people have it. Watch this video to see if you can do anything to become a better listener.
Video Source: [Emeroy Bernardo]. (2013, July 13). How to become an active listener [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eHxNdIyo7g
Communication in Groups
In every organization, there will be groups of people who are working together on a common goal. While there are many benefits to working in a group, there are also several drawbacks. What are three advantages and three disadvantages to working in groups? Take a look at your organization, if there were no groups, how would it be different?
Theory of Weak Ties
Suggested that group members will gain more valuable information from their weak ties, opposed to their strong ones.