Spain is in the temperate zone, meaning that in Spain it is hot in the summer, cold it the winter, and they have four distinct seasons. The temperate zone ranges in between 23.5° and 66.5° latitude. The temperate zone is in between the Arctic circle and the Tropic of Cancer.
Pico de Teide is located on the Canary Islands with an elavation of 12,198 feet. Pico de Teide is the highest peak in Spain. The Iberian Peninsula is located on the southwestern tip of Europe. The peninsula has an area do 583.254 km. The Strait of Gibraltar is between southernmost Spain and northwesternmost Africa. It connects the Mediterranean Sea with the Atlantic Ocean. The strait is 36 miles long and narrows to 8 miles in width. It is 1,200 feet in depth.
The population of Spain is 47.3 million people, which is a large population. Spain ranks 30th on the world rank of populations. The population density is 245 people per square mile. It is not crowded in Spain, and it ranks 113th on the world rank.
The growth rate of Spain is 0.579%/year which is considered an average growth rate. The world average is about 1%. Spain's world ranking is 154th. The fertility rate of Spain is 1.48 children/woman.
The largest city in Spain is Madrid with a population of 3.142 million people.
The second largest city is Barcelona. The population of Barcelona is 1.605 million people. Valencia is the third largest city in Spain which has a population of 809,267 people.
The fourth largest city in Spain is Seville, Sevilla. This city has a population of 703,021 people. The fifth city is Zaragoza which has a population of 666,058.
Spain is 0.81% rural and 77.4% urban. Spain is more urban than rural. Spain's net migration rate is 7.24 migrants/1000 population. More people are entering Spain than leaving Spain. People may have moved to Spain in search of a job, safety, freedom, or new opportunities.
The 5 main languages spoken in Spain are Castillian Spanish, Catalan, Galician, and Basque. 74% of Spain speaks Castillian Spanish. 17% of the Spanish population speaks Catalan. 7% of Spain speaks Galician, and 2% of the Spanish population speaks Basque.
The Roman Catholic religion is practiced by 94% of Spain's population. The other 6% of Spain practices other religions.
One cultural event that happens in Spain is the 400-year-old tradition in which bulls chase volunteers through the city.
Also, bull-fighting is a cultural tradition in Spain, but bull-fighting was banned in the Canary Islands in 1991 and in Catalonia in 2010.
Some traditional foods in Spain include seafood. Olive oil, garlic, saffron, and pepper are ingredients often used in Spanish cooking. Rice is also popular and usually served with fish,chicken, or pork.