Finnesey Field was named after the late James T. Finnesey. A native of Wyncote, Pennsylvania, a parishioner at the Church of the Gesú – located at the former site of the University – and president of a local auto manufacturer, he was a member of the Saint Joseph’s Foundation Committee, which was established in 1922 to raise support for the College’s relocation to Philadelphia’s Wynnefield neighborhood. Finnesey was also a lead donor to the stadium project in 1927.
Finnesey Field served as the home of Saint Joseph's baseball from 1947 to 1958. Hawk legend and Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer Jack Ramsay – pictured above, center, on a tough day for baseball – both played for and coached the Hawk baseball team on Finnesey Field.