Sweeney Field The Home of Saint Joseph's Soccer and Lacrosse

Sweeney Field, formerly known as Finnesey Field, has been home to 10 different Saint Joseph's varsity teams in nearly 90 years of use. After opening in 1929 as the home of the Hawk football squad, the field has undergone numerous changes over the years and has been the site of over 1,200 Saint Joseph's varsity games, matches, and track meets. The pitch is the current home of the varsity men’s and women’s soccer and lacrosse programs.

Sweeney Field sits in the center of campus and serves as the home of four Saint Joseph's varsity programs.

Nestled into the heart of campus and featuring a state-of-the-art TigerTurf playing surface as well as seating for 3,000, the facility was christened Sweeney Field in the fall of 2013 upon the completion of an extensive expansion project. The new name recognizes the contributions of Sean S. Sweeney ’94 (MBA), a member of the University’s Board of Trustees and the lead benefactor of the renovation project. Sweeney Field was blessed in conjunction with Hawktoberfest on October 12, 2013, while a formal dedication was held on April 5, 2014, before the men's lacrosse team's upset of nationally-ranked Bryant, the first win over a ranked squad in program history.

Sean S. Sweeney '94 (MBA), pictured with his family, was the lead benefactor in the renovation of the facility that now bears his name.
"Our facilities are a vital part of the success of our team. The new turf on Sweeney Field has made a world of difference. The plush turf is great for playing our style of possession soccer, it is pleasing to look at, and it invites other competitive teams to want to play on our field. The atmosphere is always amazing and our team always plays with extreme pride every time we step on the field." – Saint Joseph's women's soccer head coach Jess Mannella
The Hawk women's soccer team went 9-0-0 at Sweeney Field in 2016.

The most recent expansion included the addition of 1,200 permanent seats to the hillside nearest to the University’s iconic Barbelin Hall as well as the addition of 1,100 portable seats on the end lines. In addition, the facility includes a press box and and enhanced sound system. The playing surface, initially installed in 2008, was refreshed in 2015.

Sweeney Field hosted the 2017 Atlantic 10 Women's Lacrosse Championship.
"The recent renovations to Sweeney Field have made for an incredible game day environment. The stadium expansion has brought more fans closer to the action than ever before, and created a true home field advantage." – Saint Joseph's men's lacrosse head coach Taylor Wray
The Hawk men's lacrosse team has played in three NEC championship games on its home turf since joining the conference in 2014.

Opened in 1929 and planned as the centerpiece to a 70,000-seat football stadium, SJU was forced to eliminate the field’s original grandstand and hillside seating in 1960 due to the construction of Villiger (now Post) Hall and Bluett Theater. Since 1990, the field has undergone a number of upgrades and enhancements designed to expand usage and functionality, including the installation of an AstroTurf artificial surface prior to the current TigerTurf surface, lights (1994), and bleachers (2003).

The Saint Joseph's men's soccer program has called the facility home since its inception in 1958.

Finnesey Field was named after the late James T. Finnesey. A native of Wyncote, Pennsylvania, a parishioner at the Church of the Gesú – located at the former site of the University – and president of a local auto manufacturer, he was a member of the Saint Joseph’s Foundation Committee, which was established in 1922 to raise support for the College’s relocation to Philadelphia’s Wynnefield neighborhood. Finnesey was also a lead donor to the stadium project in 1927.

Finnesey Field served as the home of Saint Joseph's baseball from 1947 to 1958. Hawk legend and Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer Jack Ramsay – pictured above, center, on a tough day for baseball – both played for and coached the Hawk baseball team on Finnesey Field.