My Skills, Values and Interests
The vocational type that best describe me is Social. I don’t like doing the things described in the other groups. The next ones would probably be Realistic and Conventional.
The work values groups I picked were Relationships, Working Conditions and Support.
Dishwasher/Kitchen Worker was one occupation that came up. I think this career would suit me because you don’t need training after high school and I don’t plan to go to college. I enjoyed my Grade 12 Foods course where we got to do food preparation and learned how to handle food safely and clean up properly. To get employed in this area a person may need a high school diploma. Usually a few days of on the job training is needed for this kind of work.
In this type of work a person would have the following responsibilities:
Wash dishes, glassware, flatware, pots, or pans, using dishwashers or by hand.
• Place clean dishes, utensils, or cooking equipment in storage areas.
• Maintain kitchen work areas, equipment, or utensils in clean and orderly condition.
• Clean or prepare various foods for cooking or serving.
• Stock supplies, such as food or utensils, in serving stations, cupboards, refrigerators, or salad bars.
• Set up banquet tables.
• Sweep or scrub floors.
• Clean garbage cans with water or steam.
• Sort and remove trash, placing it in designated pickup areas.
• Transfer supplies or equipment between storage and work areas, by hand or using hand trucks.
• Receive and store supplies.
• Prepare and package individual place settings.
• Load or unload trucks that deliver or pick up food or supplies.
To be successful in this job I would have to be really good at following instructions and working quickly to get things done. There are restaurants in Listowel and Palmerston that are always hiring workers for these jobs so the job outlook is good in this area.