Every year I change things and keep things. Here are a few things that I have changed so far this year that are going really well.
- I have continued my Free Voluntary Library for Silent and Sustained reading in Spanish. The students that focus and work on their reading during this time have seen great gains in their proficiency in Spanish.
- I have continued to use Señor Wooly and his songs. I have started earlier this year and students are doing great. I need to assign small chucks of the song activities (nuggets) more often. I also need to work on the embedded readings that some of the songs have and use them as stories not just individual paced songs.
- I have continued with Martina Bex's SOMOS curriculum and students are doing very well.
Here are some things I need to work on or would like to add to my classes.
- I have just read Ben Slavic's "TPRS The Easy Way" and it is a home run! Anyone wanting to implement CI and TPRS needs to read this book. I have only done the Invisibles with my classes for a week and they have made a lasting impression. I need to work on assigning the jobs and using this amazingly engaging resource more.
- I need to work on some more free writes so students may see their improvement.
- I would like to teach one or more of the Senor Wooly songs as a story and have students interact with his material more.
- Pending the purchase of a Teacher's Manual and possibly more of Senor Wooly's graphic novel I would like to teach his graphic novel as one of our novels for the year.