Chile By: arianna short, chris ramp, carly cooper, and danielle durak

Chile is located in South America next to Argentina.

The capital of Chile is Santiago. Santiago is one of the most important cities in Chile because it's an economic hub and the nation's political center. About 5 million people live in Santiago, while 17 million people live in the whole country.

Chile's flag. The blue represents the sky, the white represents the snow on the Andes Mountains, and the red represents the blood that was spilled as they fought for freedom.
The money used in Chile is called the Chilean Peso. One Chilean Peso is .0015 US dollars.
The biggest city in Chile is Santiago (left). Santiago is the capital of Chile and is known for being its economic hub and the nation's political center. Valparaiso (middle) is another important city found in Chile. It's an extremely important educational center and a port city. Arica (right) is another port city which is also known for its beaches.
The La Tirana festival is one of Chile's best known festivals which is based on Catholic roots. The celebration goes from July 12th to the 18th. Another holiday is their Independence Day. A musical festival also takes place which starts in the last week of February and includes pop and folk singing competitions.

The independence of Chile was drafted on January 1, 1818. Chile celebrate their independence on September 18th and the independence was officially claimed on February 12th in 1818. Royalist forces were defeated by Jose de San Martin. Jose de San Martin was an Argentine general who helped much of South America gain their independence. Their government is now a Democratic Republic.

People in Chile speak Spanish. The people speak fast and they don't pronounce the letter "s" at the end of words. Some idioms in Chile that are used are "A Chilean doesn't leave in a rush. He tightens his butt cheeks," and "You have bad fleas," when talking about someone being in a bad mood.

Chile is a very diverse country in many ways. For example, the ethnic makeup of Chile is as follows in the 2010 Census: 52% of Chileans claimed to have European origin, 44% claimed to have Native American origin and 4% claimed to have African origins.

Chileans also have a wide variety of religious practices. 70% said they are of Christian faith, namely Catholicism, while the remaining 30% claimed they were either Atheists or practiced a smaller, less known religion.

Due to their large coast, much of central and southern Chile contain very fertile soils, where foods like apples, peaches, grapes, asparagus and onions can be grown easily and produce very large crops. Their agricultural roots are very evident in much of their cuisine along with a lot of seafood.

A Chilean appetizer (left), A Chilean sea bass (top), and empanadas (bottom). Empanadas are usually filled with meats and cheeses, sometimes with different vegetables.

Famous artists in Chile include Roberto Matta, Camilo Mori, and Marta Colvin.

Roberto Matta is one of Chile's most well known artists who's an abstract expressionist while Camilo Mori is the founder of the Grupo Montparnasse which is a group of Chilean artists, and Marta Colvin was a sculptor.

Camilo Mori's art (left), Marta Colvin's sculpture (middle), and Roberto Matta's art (right).

The most well known artifacts seen in Chile are the ones located in Easter Island.

The statues seen in Easter Island

Chile and the U.S. have a very good relationship. The U.S. has been supportive of Chile for many years because Chile is a democracy unlike some other South American countries. The U.S. and Chile have worked together in the past on many important world issues. Chilean president Michelle Bachelet met with President Obama in 2014 to discuss world issues such as human rights violations.

Chile's President meeting with President Barack Obama in 2014

Chile is considered to be one of the most stable nations when considering the economy in South America. It’s also ranked as a high-income economy by the World Bank which is an international financial institution.

A look at Chile's economy up until 2013

Natural resources found in Chile are copper, timber, and nitrate. Copper is the biggest natural resource, but before copper nitrate was the biggest in abundance. The timber is found in southern forests in Chile.

Copper is pictured on the left and timber on the right.

Exports to the U.S. - fruits + frozen juices, copper, fish, wine, and lumber

Imports from the U.S. - fuel oil, civilian aircrafts, petroleum products, computers, and industrial machinery

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.