weekly school News
** Each week be sure to scroll to the bottom of the weekly newsletter for all kinds of community and extracurricular activities/events (basketball, dance, cheerleading, cross country, etc...)
1. Cougar Cuisine Information (click here) (Updated Flyer): Due to expected inclement weather, Cougar Cuisine will now take place on Saturday, February 2nd from 12:00 to 2:00pm during the home basketball game vs Greenwood.
2. Upcoming "Movie Night": The student council will be hosting a 5th/6th grade movie night on January 23rd from 2:30-4:0pm for any interested 4th grader. Permission slips for this event were sent home this week and are due on Tuesday. Please be sure to to change dismissal manager should your child be staying.
3. E-learning Support for January 21st: Our library will be staffed by support staff on Tuesday and Thursday from 4-6pm next week. Should your child need some additional help with their e-learning lessons, we welcome you to bring them on either of these evenings. We request that parents remain with their child(ren) during this timeframe so that they may depart upon completion. If you have questions, please contact the office.
4. January 30th e-Learning Day: PLEASE click here to go to the Powerschool Parent Portal and complete the questionnaire (top left of webpage). This information allows us to appropriately staff our building as well as for lunch prep.
5. No Cold Feet Shoe Drive: K-Kids is sponsoring the No Cold Feet Shoe Drive January 28th-February 1st. Students can donate old shoes to the boxes in their homeroom. The class with the most shoe donations will receive a sports water bottle. Please be sure that each donated pair is secured with a rubber band. Shoes will be donated to Changing Footprints, and unwearable shoes will be recycled into playground mulch!
6. Schoolstore.com: Our school will be participating in the SchoolStore program again this year. This online program helps our school earn cash without students selling door-to-door, collecting money or delivering products. Over 400 merchants, including Target and WalMart.com, have joined together to offer up to 50% of sales to our school for shopping through SchoolStore.com.
You shop online for what you are planning to purchase anyway and support our school. Simply go to www.schoolstore.net, select our school (School code: 8981) and let the shopping begin!! Last year, we had seventy-six students participate. Therefore, Schoolstore has offered to donate $5/student for each student we exceed seventy-six this year. All money raised goes to support our GOTCHA program. Feel free to share with family members and friends.
7. Greenfield Community Club Lacrosse Team Call-Out Meeting: Due to the weather last weekend, this event was postponed to tomorrow afternoon at 5:30pm in the Greenfield Memorial Building. Should you have additional questions, please contact Greg Hall at 317-966-2954. Please note that this is not a school-sanctioned team.
8. AskRose Homework Help: Trained Rose-Hulman tutors provide free help to students in math and science. This support is available Sunday-Thursday, 7pm to 10pm (877-Ask-Rose).
9. ILEARN Information: The link below will allow you to see and interact with released test items. It will also allow your child to practice with some of the online test tools that will be available to them.
10. Library News: Did you know we have eBooks available for MIS students? We received them through the Greenfield-Central School Foundation and want to spread the word. Below is a tutorial you can watch on how to gain access. The eBooks can be read on iPads or Chromebooks. Students can download the books for offline access as well. Should you have questions regarding this, please contact Ms. Lucy Gellert, GC Director of Library Services at email@example.com.
11. Camp Invention: The 2019 camp will be July 15-19th at J.B. Stephens Elementary from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The cost per child is $230. The camp is for children entering grade K-6. If you have questions or need more information, please contact Ms. Amanda Bradford at firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. 2nd Semester Menus
13. Breakfast & 2 Hour Delays: In the event of a 2 hour delay this year, breakfast will not be served on these days. This is due to the fact that upon student arrival our lunch staff will already be in the process of prepping lunch.
14. Safe School Alert: SafeSchools Alert is our district's tip reporting service. If you have information about a threat to our safety, do your part and report it. Please remember, you can remain anonymous. Should you have a need to report an issue, please click on the link below for details on how to do so.
15. #thankfulThursday: As mentioned earlier this year, we had a large group of staff members who met on several occasions over the summer to discuss our old "Behavior Card." The goal was to find a way to make this a more positive communication tool for our parents and students. This card was created as a scaled feedback tool to provide you with, not only the traditional information you have always received, but also a glimpse into the positive choices and leadership that your child is displaying throughout his/her day.
Knowing this, the office staff is requesting your help again. We would like to share with our staff regular, positive feedback from a variety of sources. Please take a few moments and use the link below to provide some encouragement to those folks that are making a major difference in your child's future. These comments can be anonymous, or you can provide your name. The office staff will use the provided comments every Thursday for our #thankfulThursday movement. The attached form can be completed, as little or often as you like, throughout the entire school year. We appreciate your continued support in growing the culture of gratitude that already exists at MIS!!
A couple of comments that have been shared:
"Mrs. Tilley has been absolutely amazing with my sweet girl! My daughter is one of a kind to say the least and she requires extra attention and sometimes unconventional strategies. I am so thankful she has an understanding, patient teacher who wants to help her succeed and keeps me informed on how she is doing and calms my nerves with such a positive attitude and patience!
"Communication is key to succeeding. Mrs. Wayne, thank you for your communication. You have answered all my questions and I am able to help my student study and learn. Thank you for caring."
16. Gotcha Prize Winners: We would like to recognize the following students for exhibiting great character throughout the week. They were selected as our "Gotcha" prize winners this week:
Malachi V., Paige C., Brynn A., Carmyn S., and Kaycie M.
17. School Dismissal Manager: Should you still need to sign up for School Dismissal Manager, please click the link below.
18. Volunteer Forms: Click on the link. Once you are on the page, click on the red apply button in the upper right hand corner to complete the process.
Keeping Up With the Latest Information at MIS
Click the button below for more details
- MIS PTO Email Contact: MaxwellPTO.email@example.com
- MIS Twitter Feeds (#proud2bMIS, #MISgotchas)
January 21st: E-Learning Day (Snow Make-Up Day)
January 23rd: ILEARN Statewide Readiness Test
January 23rd: 5th/6th Grade "Movie Night" - 2:30-4:00pm
January 30th: Scheduled e-Learning Day
January 31st: K-Kids Meeting (7:30am)
January 31st: Hoops for Heart (2:15pm)
OPPORTUNITIES AROUND MIS, GC, AND THE LOCAL COMMUNITY