NATIONAL GRILLING MONTH
July is national grilling month! There are endless options you can create and enjoy with friends and family. Take a look below at food safety tips and recipe options!
- Wash your hands prior to handling food and after touching raw meat
- Thaw and marinate food in the refrigerator, not on the counter. Place these items on a low shelf to prevent cross contamination with other foods.
- Keep raw food separate when grilling: Use separate plates, cutting boards, utensils and grill space for raw foods. Do not put cooked items back on the plate they were thawing or marinating on.
- Take temperatures! Ground beef and pork should be at least 160°, poultry at 165°, and shrimp and crab until flesh is pearly or white and opaque
- Keep hot foods hot & cold foods cold by using warmers and ice to prevent bacteria growth. If it is hotter than 90° outside and food is not kept at the right temperature, food needs to be thrown away after one hour.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours and eat within 4 days.
Try grilling these options:
- Tofu or chicken vegetable skewers
- Flatbread or pizza
- Fruit skewers with pineapple, peaches, plums, watermelon
- Corn on the cob
- Grilled shrimp tacos
- Marshmallows for s’mores
Build a Better Salad
Salads can be a satisfying and delicious entrée when you choose the right ingredients. Take a look below for suggestions on upgrading your salad:
- Start with dark leafy greens like spring mix or spinach– the darker the green the more nutrients!
- Add a variety of raw, steamed, or roasted vegetables for different taste and textures
- Choose lean protein such as chicken, turkey, beans, edamame or tofu
- Add energy boosting grains such as rice, sweet potato, quinoa, or barley
- Top with heart healthy fats such as seeds/nuts, hummus, or olive-oil based dressing
Hey, thanks for reading!
If you have any suggestions or topics you would like to see in future mindful newsletters, reach out to email@example.com, or call 508-626-4602. I'd love to hear your input!
Make sure to follow us on social media and get updates on all things FSU Dining Services, including my wellness tips!