1. The Dress. Don't wait til the week of Prom to find a dress! Look ahead and get a good idea of what type of dress you're looking for so you're not stressing last minute.
2. Shoes. Don't be afraid to borrow a pair of heels from a friend. You will more than likely only wear these shoes once, save money
3. Makeup. If you're doing your makeup yourself, look up tutorials and examples to get an idea of what you want to do. If doing makeup isn't your thing, get it done or find a friend who would be willing to do it for you.
4. Hair. After choosing your dress, find a hairstyle that fits the look you're going for. More importantly, you don't want to be fidgeting with your hair all night, so choose a style that you're comfortable with.
5. Choosing a date. Don't feel obligated to bring a date if you don't want to, going with a group of friends is always more fun (and less expensive). If you do want to bring a date, choose someone that you will have fun with, it's your prom, not theirs.
6. Pictures. This is one of the most important parts of prom. Relax, don't force a smile (it won't be pretty). Decide which side is your good side and hope to God that isn't your friend's good side as well.
7. Dinner. Be sure to make reservations, you don't want to be waiting for hours for a table to fit 10+ people on a Saturday night.
8. The Dance. Hopefully your school provides good music. Don't be afraid to let loose and have fun on the dance floor.