Autism, a complex developmental disability, which experts believe presents itself during the first three years of an individual's life. A condition that is the result of a neurological disorder that hinders the brains development in areas regarding communication and social skills.
What Causes Autism?
As there is no concrete data on the cause of autism, scientists can only speculate that faulty genes or environmental factors(viruses,chemical imbalances, rubella) might make a person more likely to develop autism, while in the womb.
Symptoms of Autism
The range and severity of symptoms can vary widely. Common symptoms include difficulty with communication, social interaction, obsessive interest, and repetitive behaviors. Some people may experience:
- Behavioral: Inappropriate social interactions, poor eye contact, compulsive behavior,self-harm, or persistent repetition of words or actions.
- Development: Learning disability or speech delay in a child.
- Cognitive: Intense interest in a limited number or things or problems paying attention.
- Psychological: Unaware of others emotions or depression.
- Also Common: Anxiety, change in voice, sensitivity to sound, or tics.
Treatment Consists Of Therapy
Early recognition, as well as behavior, educational, and family therapy may reduce symptoms and support development and learning. A few alternative options are:
- Therapies: Anger Management, Family Therapy, Applied behavior analysis, Behavior therapy, Sensory Processing, Animal Assisted, and Telepractice.
- Medications: Anti-psychotic (Reduces or improves of symptoms of certain psychiatric conditions).
- Specialists: Speech Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Clinical Psychologist, Neurologist, Psychiatrist, Pediatrician, Primary Care Provider (PCP)