What's your favorite animal?
Well mines the hippo you know the one that kills the most humans a year than any other animal. Yep that one.
Well that's not the reason why hippos are my favorite animal. These are the reasons why
There are two types of hippos, there is the Pygmy hippo(shown above), and there is the African hippo.
These are the average age size and weights.
Average life span in the wild:
Up to 40 years
Head and body, 9.5 to 14 ft (2.8 to 4.2 m); tail, 13.75 to 19.75 inches (35 to 50 cm)
5,000 to 8,000 lbs (2,268 to 3,629 kg
THESE ARE SOME REAL NEAT FACTS
* Hippopotamuses are found in Africa.
* The name hippopotamus means ‘river horse’ and is often shortened to hippo.
* The hippopotamus is generally considered the third largest land mammal (after the White rhinoceros and elephant).
* Hippopotamuses spend a large amount of time in water such as rivers, lakes and swamps.
* Hippopotamuses give birth in water.
* Hippopotamuses have short legs, a huge mouth and a body shaped like a barrel.
* The closest relations of the hippopotamus are surprisingly cetaceans such as whales and dolphins.
* Scientists believe this family of animals diverged in evolution around 55 million years ago.
* Although hippos might look a little chubby, they can easily outrun a human.
* Hippos can be extremely aggressive, especially if they feel threatened.
* Hippos are threatened by habitat loss and poachers who hunt them for their meat and teeth.
* A male hippopotamus is called a ‘bull’.
* A female hippopotamus is called a ‘cow’.
* A baby hippo is called a ‘calf’.
* Hippos eat mostly grass.