1. the colony of zimbabwe's name used to be rhodesia
equal rights in south africa
1. the african goverment of the mid 1900s created something called a apartheid which limited african american rights.
2. countries started boycotting south africa because of their apartheid
3. in 1994 nelson mandela became africa's president after he was released from prison.
which european country took over the most of africa - great britain
people of the region
1. the largest white minority is in south sudan where 10% of the people are white
1. fewer than two million live in lesotho and swaziland.
2. whites and asians make up less than 1% of the population.
3. less than 20% of malawi's people live in the city
ethnic and cultural groups
1. the shona make up more than 80% of the population of zimbabwe.
2. out of the population of botswana 4 million people are Tswana.
3. the area between south africa and zimbabwe is inhabited by the tongsa
religion and language
1. swaziland zambia and mawi all are largely muslim
2. portuguese is the official language of angola
question what is the main religion in africa - christianity
life in southern africa
1. many rural people still follow traditional practices
1. angola's capital has a population of 4.5 million
urban growth and change
1. lunda has issues treating its water cholera outbreaks occur often
2. most blacks live on the outskirts of town in homes without electric or clean water
3. the chinese live mainly in the townships of johannesburg
family and traditional life
1. rural villages often only have 20 to 30 houses
2. people in the countryside often participate subsistence farming
southern africa today
1. south africa has a great deal of mineral resources but political issues are a problem.
1. the life expectancy is 50 to 55
1. in malawi a 120 of every 1000 children die in infancy
2. a major cause of death in children and adults is hiv and aids
3. malaria is also common a disease carried by mosquitoes
why is life expectancy in africa so low - disease and lack of proper treatment
progress and growth
where in there countries do most south africans live - in rural areas
1. tourism has really helped angola's destroyed economy
2. oil also has helped angola after years of civil war
help from other countrys
1.the us has paid billions of dollars to help fight aids
2. taiwan built a textile industry in lesotho to bring jobs
3. foreign investors have also given money to the country's government.