Prepare a verbal comment on an agenda item
Due to the Covid-19 Crisis, the City Commission is only accepting public comment on agenda business items. If you’d like to share your thoughts about a non-agenda item, please contact the commission through email i.e email@example.com or phone i.e 352-334-5016
Plan your Public Comment in advance
- How do you want to introduce yourself?
- Who are you and where do you come from?
- What unique perspective can you contribute to the conversation today?
- What do you want to share with the Commission?
- Do you need to set the stage or give background information?
- Do you have multiple things to say? Write out your thoughts in bullet points.
- Use facts and data whenever possible.
- Stay away from personal attacks.
- Remember each person has only 3 minutes. Try to be brief but thorough.
- Finish your remarks with a clear call to action.
- What concrete steps do you reccomend?
Take preparations to make sure everyone can hear you
1. Choose a quiet room with no echo. Turn off all desktop notifications (e.g., emails) in your computer/device settings.
2. Make sure that your phone's network signal is strong enough.
3. Make sure phone's battery is sufficiently charged.
Making a verbal Public Comment
1. If you are watching the meeting live, please mute the sound on your computer/device/Television.
2. Dial our Toll Free Number which can be found in the meeting details below. A moderator will call on you when it is your turn to speak.
3. Make sure the microphone is close enough to pick up your voice. Speak slowly and clearly.
4. State your name clearly for the record.
5. Remember each speaker will have three minutes to comment.
Other useful resources