Strategic Plan Components
Our Mission - Why we exist
Our Vision - How we see the future
Our Values - What we believe
Our Goals - Where we will focus
Mission - Why we exist!
The UNC Charlotte Libraries are the center of intellectual life at UNC Charlotte, North Carolina’s urban research university, advancing the scholarly and creative endeavors of the University and the greater Charlotte community by providing exceptional collections, spaces, services, and technologies. We inspire innovation, support research, and cultivate scholarship by connecting people, ideas, and resources.
VISION: How we see the future!
The UNC Charlotte Libraries will assume a welcoming, accessible, and constantly evolving role in the scholarly, cultural, aesthetic, and social development of the UNC Charlotte community.
We will assist the campus in realizing its commitments to its constituents by developing innovative approaches to promote critical thinking, success, and lifelong learning.
We will focus on the needs of our users and constantly improve all aspects of our operations, including collections, resources, services, facilities, technologies, and staffing.
Our faculty and staff will lead pioneering initiatives in librarianship.
We will be recognized by students, faculty, staff, and the community as the intellectual heart of UNC Charlotte.
We will facilitate discovery, spark creativity, and fuel innovation through well-trained and engaged faculty and staff, state of the art technologies, unique and regional collections, diverse collaborations, inspiring spaces, and world-class service.
Values: Believe in and how we work!
Access: We strive to provide effective, efficient, and permanent access to the library’s resources while embracing the principles of open access, fair use, and intellectual freedom.
Collaboration: We engage in meaningful partnerships both internally and externally.
Innovation: We foster a climate that encourages creativity, experimentation, and adaptability.
Integrity: We are strong advocates for honesty, transparency, accountability, and openness.
Respect: We create a safe and supportive environment that honors the library’s diverse constituencies and employees.
Service: We are dedicated to excellence in customer service.
WHERE WE WILL FOCUS
Develop library programs, collections and services for a diverse student body that integrate with and supports the university curriculum at all levels.
1. Engage with students and faculty at their point of need.
2. Align the Library’s base collections and equipment budget with identified campus needs.
3. Create a robust and strategic presence online and in distance learning programs.
Develop library programs, collections, and spaces that support research, discovery, and knowledge creation.
Actions / Tactics
1. Develop and continuously improve spaces to support research, discovery, and knowledge creation.
2. Implement, maintain, and promote an institutional repository for the campus community to preserve and provide open access to the scholarly output of the university.
3. Develop and implement plans for the life cycle of digital resources and physical collections, for collection development, and for digital preservation.
4. Initiate a dynamic marketing campaign to promote library programs and resources that support research.
Create library services and programming that engage the community.
1. Initiate a dynamic marketing campaign to promote library programs and resources that enhance the economic, civic, and cultural vitality of the region.
2. Host engaging community events.
3. Develop services that respond to the needs and interests of the Greater Charlotte Region.
4. Acquire, create, preserve, and provide access to resources documenting the history of the Greater Charlotte Region with the active participation of our community partners.
5. Work with Advancement to develop a list of potential donors for the library and cultivate them.
2016-2017 Academic Year : 23 Requests (Strategic Plan has details)
Additional Resources to accomplish 5-year plan:
Architectural Firm Study
Redesign and furnish 2nd Floor library Faculty/Staff offices
Redesign and renovate Special Collections and University Archives to bring reading room, collections, and staff together
Accessibility hardware, software, and furniture
Furniture and equipment such as kiosk machines, charging stations, laptops and lending/charging cabinets, signage, and other needs for Atkins Spaces in academic buildings
Equipment, furniture, glass enclosures, and other resources for a Makerspace, Teacher's Lab, Multimedia Lab, Adobe Studio, and Digital Projects Lab
Enclose and furnish a Graduate and Silent Study Room on the 2nd Floor