1. A life span of an average African Pigmy Hedgehog is around 3-5 years.
2. The price of a hedgehog typically ranges from $70-$250 depending on color, age, breeder, and size.
3. In Washington alone, there are over 5 reliable hedgehog breeders with both adult and infant hedgehogs available.
4. Hedgehogs don't cry or make whimpering noises, and have no separation anxiety as found in common house pets, such as dogs, cats, and birds.
5. They eat very little, and don't need a particular, Hedgehog specific brand of food; cat food is preferred amongst the majority of hedgie owners.
6. He would not need to be watched constantly, let out to go to the bathroom, or need attention for hours a day.
7. Hedgehogs are nocturnal- as mentioned before, they do not cry. The most noise they will make could come from knocking things over, or crunching dry kibble. However, during the day is their extended "nap" time, and will not conflict with murphy's sudden spouts of energy, or his beauty sleep.
8. They poop much less than dogs, cats, or dani.
9. They enjoy nibbling on simple snacks, such as left over bits of carrots, apples, lettuce, and other fruits and vegetables.
10. He will need 12 to 14 hours of daylght, which is easily attainable.
12. A hedgehog is a companion that is portable; he could travel with us to the lake, but is easily movable if needed to stay the night at home when we are too far or it's too inconvenient for him to tag along (casey, dani, etc.)
13. Over 96% of hedgehog owners agree that hedgies do not develop an undesirable odor.
14. You have to give them a bath or shower 1 to 2 times a month.
15. Like several of us, hedgehogs are introverts and enjoy being alone, so if no one is home during the day, we don't have to worry about him getting depressed or lonely.
16. You do have to trim their nails every several weeks, but this is only difficult when your hedgie is aggressive.
17. In the beginning, bonding time is very important. After a couple weeks, they we become at ease and won't need much attention.
18. They have pink bellies
19. Hedgehogs do not have dander like cats or dogs, and that can be very ideal for individuals with allergies (joelle)
20. They don't require routine shots.
21. Joelle needs a hedgehog.