After I had found my image online, I put it in photoshop to costomized it. I erased the feathers on the bottom so that only the symbol was left. Then, to enhance the negative and positive shapes I went over the lines in black so that the would pop out more. In order to ensure that the lines would be thick enough I used a size 23 brush. I also added a circle at the top to make the dream catcher into a keychain.
To prepare my design for printing I took a picture and put it in Makerbot. From there I could manipulate the size, width, length, and height of my design. To keep it simple I only changed the width and the size. I wanted it to become a keychain so I don't want it to be too big.
This is a picture of the 3D printer. In order to start the printing process, someone has to place a string of filament in it. Then the printer heats up the filament until it melts and falls out of the top piece. The piece at the top is what does most of the work. It moves around while the filament is falling out to make sure that it all goes in the right places to create the design you want. What I found surprising was that when the melted filament flowed out of the machine it wasn't hot at all! In fact it was cool to the touch. I had expected it to be hot since it needed to be heated up sat a high temperature for it to melt.
This is how my design turned out. The only thing that didn't go according to plan was the shape. I think that while I was messing with it in makerbot I changed to the width and it turned into an oval instead of a circle. Besides that, I love the way the intersecting Lines form a beautiful pattern that draws you in.
If I could redo my design I would go back into photoshop and keep the feathers. I would also make to circle bumpy like a real dream catcher, and would definitely be more careful in makerbot. I think the most difficult part of this project was the tracing. After I had found my image it took a while for me to trace it in photoshop. Over I love my 3D print and I'm very proud of it.