FROM THE PRESIDENT'S DESK
Chapter 20 President: Mindy Leadholm, SR/WA
Greetings Chapter 20 Members -
Inspiration comes to us in many different ways – never knowing when, how, or why we will be impacted. In hopes of inspiring you, I am compelled to share a recent tragedy that hit close to my heart.
Last week, at the age of 38, a college friend of mine very suddenly passed away from a kidney infection. He was an athletic and healthy person, who was enjoying the summer with his wife and three young children. Both education majors at a small private school, the two of us shared classes together and have many mutual friends. In the 15+ years since we moved away from Collegeville, we have not keep in touch. However, the tiny part of my life that was touched by his presence in this world has greatly impacted me.
Friends, colleagues, and former students alike have shared small tidbits of his impact on them. A colleague wrote, “The number of lives you touched, challenged, and changed by really SEEING people, all people, is an incomparable legacy.” Other social media tributes include:
- “Erik was one of the best humans I ever came into contact with. The world is not as bright without you, old friend.” (from another college friend)
- “Without pretense, he listened and motivated and cared.”
- “Erik was one of the most amazing educators I have had the privilege to work with…his steadfast commitment to ALL students was inspiring…we all need to do all we can to be more like the incredible Mr. Stenberg!”
- “All I can truly think about is that when I met Stenberg for my junior year English class, I had no idea how much a human being could alter my thought process about myself and life.”
- “He was constantly shoving other people toward being better people.”
- “He is the only teacher I ever had who made me want to be better.”
More words and phrases used to describe this man include: humor, patience, openness, generosity, believed in us, optimistic, and inspiring. So popular with the students at his school, he was overwhelmingly chosen to give the commencement speech for the 2018 graduates just a few months ago.
The inspiration I’ve gained, and hope to pass on to you, from this heartbreak is that we must enjoy and appreciate life. We must be the best we can be, in all that we do. And we must show compassion, enthusiasm, and dignity towards others throughout our professional and personal lives.
Thank you in advance to all of our 2018-2019 Chapter 20 Sponsors. Our sponsors include HDR (Platinum Sponsor), Fredrikson & Byron, P.A. (Silver Sponsor), ProSource Technologies (Silver Sponsor), SRF Consulting Group, Inc. (Silver Sponsor), WSB & Associates, Inc. (Silver Sponsor), Ulteig (Silver Sponsor), and Henning Professional Services (Bronze Sponsor). These companies have donated funds so that our Chapter can continue our education program, special events, meetings, and scholarship opportunities throughout this upcoming fiscal year.
Thank you to all who attended our July Member Meeting and 60th Anniversary Celebration! We had about 60 people attend the Mill City Museum Tour and Gallery Visit. We then celebrated Chapter 20 with lunch at the Old Spaghetti Factory. A special thanks to the 19 past Chapter 20 Presidents who attended to help commemorate our Chapter’s Past, Present, and Future within the IRWA!
Upcoming Events (click on each link to learn more and register for each event):
- September 23-25: Region 3 Fall Forum in Kansas City, Missouri. These Forums are a great way to expand your understanding and participation within the IRWA. They also provide a great opportunity for meeting members from other Region 3 Chapters.
- October 2: Next Chapter 20 Member Meeting is at Beaver Island Brewery in St. Cloud. This meeting will be held in conjunction with our Fourth Annual College Outreach Program. I encourage you to attend the meeting and help us educate our Future on the opportunities provided within our profession and organization.
- October 8-10: SR/WA Study Session and Exam
- October 24-25: Course 100: Principles of Land Acquisition
- October 26: Course 102: Elevating Your Ethical Awareness
Please feel free to contact me if you need anything or have any questions about Chapter 20 business. As your President, I am here to help you get the most out of your Chapter 20 membership.
And as we all enjoy the last few days of summer, keep in mind how precious life is. Be good. Be happy. Be thankful.
2018-2019 EXECUTIVE BOARD
- Director: Andrew Girga
- President: Mindy Leadholm, SR/WA
- President Elect: Ben Barker, SR/WA, R/W-NAC, R/W-RAC
- Treasurer: Benjamin Tozer
- Secretary: Matthew Hagelin
JULY MEMBER MEETING AND 60TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION
Created with images by Jonathan Roger - "untitled image" • Cosmic Timetraveler - "untitled image"