Loading

Minutes 9/18/17 Senate Secretary, Kara Donovan

  • Call to order
  • Invocation by Senator Brock
  • Pledge of Allegiance
  • Roll call by Secretary Donovan
  • Senators Miller, Webb, Sutherland, Kazmier, and Rozman were found absent
Presentation by Clemson Collegiate FFA (CCFFA) President Christopher Lunsford
  • Clemson’s chapter began in 1930s
  • Established to fulfill land grant mission of Clemson- specifically the agricultural aspect
  • Participate in service projects to benefit the community
  • #1 industry in SC is agriculture
  • JL: elaborate on community garden location and organization?
  • CL: idea that was brought up this semester, hope to begin working on it soon
  • JS: any events on campus we should know about?
  • CL: brought a calendar of events to leave with Senate
  • JS: what is the setting of the meetings/could I drop in?
  • CL: we have a variety of speakers, not usually a formal setting, meetings are open to anyone
  • MP: how can student government help CCFFA?
  • CL: member involvement- we have a lot of members but they aren’t very involved, want people to stay active in the organization, always looking for project ideas
  • BD: do we still have ag appreciation during a football game here?
  • CL: we have a CAFLS tailgate before the Citadel game this year
Presentation by Allen’s Creations Owner Trent Allen
  • Overview of Clemson history through the decades

Academic Affairs, Shreya Shankar

  • WELCOME NEW SENATORS!!! JOIN ACADEMIC AFFAIRS!!!
  • Madison to be appointed to bookstore advisory committee
  • Meet with Academic Advising Committee to discuss Major/Minor fair to be held in the Spring
  • Looking to create more research opportunities for humanities majors
  • CU Drop in Research Spotlight
  • Please submit graphic designs for CUDIRS banner to email below
  • CUDIRS to start up again tentatively on 9/26
  • Contacting companies to buy podium
  • Looking for professors who want to present research; submit names if you know anyone
  • Tremain met up with military affairs committee to discuss earlier registration times for ROTC members
  • Unified database of research opportunities in every College
  • Will be meeting with several deans this week
  • Formalizing committee of faculty/students to execute
  • Madison and Mar reaching out about printers in every residence hall
  • Matt Looking into getting food trucks behind the library for finals week
  • Matt talking to registrar’s office and discussing with Dean Griffin about getting free transcripts for students
  • Contact info-
  • Shreya Shankar
  • 843-260-4372
  • shanka2@clemson.edu
  • @shreyatheslaya

Athletics, Josh Hutchinson

  • Updates-
  • Athletics Updates
  • Software meeting postponed due to weather last week; will make up this week and look to add waterfall back as promised
  • Still working on software issues
  • Meeting with OCES to add official penalty for selling student tickets
  • Campus Rec Updates
  • Looking to do a constituent report of what students want to see from Campus Rec
  • Lots of projects to come in the next 5 years
  • Ticketing Tips-
  • Use the following URL: www.clemsontigers/students
  • Register your CUID several hours before the ticketing window to make sure that you can login to your account
  • Make sure you do not have any holds on your account. The system will not let you get a ticket if you have holds on your account. Working to fix this but until then, make sure your account is clear of any holds.
  • Go into the ticketing portal right at the time it opens i.e. go in at 5pm if your window starts at 5pm
  • Avoid using mobile devices when getting your ticket. Especially apple mobile devices such as iPhones and iPads
  • We are working very hard to perfect this system so please be patient
  • Projects-
  • Ticketing policy tweaking
  • OCES Meeting for penalties
  • Campus Rec constituent report
  • Contact Info
  • Josh Hutchinson | 803-727-3854 | jhutch4@g.clemson.edu

Campus Life, Jacob Livingston

  • Updates this Week-
  • WELCOME ARIANNA!
  • Multicultural Dining Hall Day menu is set! Mark your calendars and find a friend with swipes: Tuesday, September 26th from 5-9 PM in the Fresh Food Company (Core Campus) Dining Hall
  • MASSIVE shout-out to Sloane, who has worked with dining to help them expand halal food options.
  • “Your Voice Counts” feedback survey: www.yourdiningvoice.com
  • Jade joined Campus Rec Advisory Board to help advocate for more outdoor rec space on campus!
  • QTNA for new Senators: where can you find new friends, a broad choice of projects, the reigning Fall Retreat champs, and snacks at every meeting? Hint: it rhymes with “Shmampus Shmife” | jwlivin@clemson.edu | (843) 855-2516 | SC: @jacobsayshi | Twitter/Insta: @jacob_livvy

Finance & Procedures, Miller Hoffman

  • Welcome New Faces!!
  • What’s F&P?
  • Legislation:
  • Non-Operational funding
  • Big 7 bylaw amendment
  • Supreme Court Confirmation
  • Bylaws Task Force
  • Met with Emma Schafer (Elections Director) about Elections changes. Expect these changes in a week.
  • Met with Janay Crosland (Attorney General) about Supreme Court nominations. You’ll see these later tonight.
  • Working with Jacob McMeekin to reform Executive positions and descriptions.Expect full bylaw reformation (the whole enchilada) before Christmas.
  • Parker’s “Sharing with Senate”
  • Check Projects List for potential cross-collaboration with F&P
  • Hit me with questions or conversation / mhoffm5@g.clemson.edu / 803-412-5983
  • #undefeated

Health & Human Services, Madison Gregoris

  • Updates:
  • Clemson Against Drunk Driving (CADD) Campaign
  • Lauren met with Ms. Crystal Fulmer (healthy campus) on Friday (9/8) to discuss CADD, setting up a date this week to discuss in more detail with her GA
  • Meeting Wednesday to coordinate with CU Waterdrop for one event
  • Timeline with individual days planned out (Week leading up to FSU game)
  • Beginning to contact other groups to form partnerships to help events go as planned
  • Had first official HHS committee meeting - finally
  • CUSG supports getting your flu shot
  • Come talk to me if you want to work on this project :)
  • Individual Project Updates:
  • Anna - reforming CU guardian app, suicide training for faculty
  • Stephen - online resource book for students, working on a PDF of all things HHS now
  • Jay - CADD
  • Aliyah - tampon receptacles in all-women housing
  • Daniel - flu shots
  • Perrin - Tampon/Pad drive, diversity component to CUSG
  • Call me/beep me/if you wanna reach me | 3155592066, mjgrego@g.clemson.edu, SC: @madisonj315

Transportation & Facilities, Patrick Gorospe

  • Committee Updates-
  • New intersections at Hendrix and Sherman St.
  • Sign up and promote carpool spots please!
  • Note that you can trade in your commuter pass for a Park n Ride permit and get a refund
  • Dunk Dan the Director! See image below, also a points opportunity
  • Committee Member Updates-
  • Jessica Ruday - met with Sergeant Young. Going to continue reimagining Safety Walk
  • Andrew O’Steen & Lisa Uy - bathrooms have been surveyed
  • Emily Anders - discovered the Whoosh mobile metered parking app. Developing a storyboard to re-imagine a parking pre-quiz experience
  • Monica Rozman - working with CUPD to explore the possibility of a school-wide active shooter training
  • Upcoming Meetings-
  • Dan (weekly)
  • Todd (9/19)
  • Gary Gaulin (TBD)
  • Green Crescent Trail Steering (9/21)
  • HMU 803-371-0959 | pgorosp@clemson.edu | @heyitsmepatg (coffee, free food, friendship)

University Services, Mikey Summers

  • Chair Updates-
  • Met with New CIO, long story short: he’s incredible
  • More Committee Appointments!!
  • Creative Inquiry Advisory Board
  • Computing Student Advisory Board
  • Comprehensive List of CUSG Appointments and External Committee Positions
  • Get Makerspace Certified at http://ci.clemson.edu/blogs/makerspace/
  • Click “Training” tab to enroll
  • Equifax Hack and You
  • Committee Member Updates-
  • Beau Schelble: Constituency Report, ITSAB Funding Advertising
  • Catherine Petty: City Council Representation
  • Peter Sterckx: Market Basket On vs. Off Campus, We The Tigers Improvements, Dining Hall Feedback, Food Summit
  • Ashley Girvin: Food Summit, Green Crescent Trail, One Clemson
  • Jacovia Cherry
  • Thomas Marshall
  • More Information
  • U.S. Meeting: Monday, 5:30-6:30pm
  • Mikey’s Contact Info-
  • Phone: (864)328-7441
  • Email: mrsumme@clemson.edu

Clerk, Jack Council

  • CUSG on-campus activities:
  • Scroll of Honor/Memorial Park
  • The Archives
  • Fort Hill?
  • If you ever have any questions or just wanna hang out,
  • 704-488-3242
  • jcounci@g.clemson.edu
  • Snapchat/Insta: @jack_council

Secretary, Kara Donovan

  • Welcome all new senators :)
  • Freshmen see me after senate tonight
  • Points-
  • Funding board (weekly)
  • CUDIRS (weekly starting 9/26)
  • Hour at Starbucks → Parker
  • Multicultural Dining Day (9/26)
  • Dunk Dan Hoffman
  • Driving members feel free to edit the sheet
  • Driving let me know if members of your committee miss committee meetings- this is half an absence
  • CUSG Google Calendar
  • Meet the Senators
  • Contact Info-
  • (410) 220-7220
  • donova3@g.clemson.edu
  • Insta: @kara710
  • Twitter: @kdon710
  • Snapchat: @karadonovan710

Pro Temp, Steven Patrick

  • CHEGG Committee
  • Fall Retreat Updates
  • RSVP deadline is this Saturday, September 23rd
  • Cool activites at Fall Retreat Yo’ Self
  • Mentor/Mentee Updates

Vice President, Jaren Stewart

  • DACA
  • Hurricane Relief
  • Tabling @ Library
  • Changing Clemson @ BGR

Senate President, Leland Dunwoodie

  • Service Project-
  • Letters for GHS
  • Shoutouts-
  • Rachel Reid
  • New Senators
  • Steven Patrick
  • Jacob Sargent
  • Updates-
  • Good luck with exams!
  • 206 applicants
  • Please start something this week
  • Steering Action Steps-
  • Professionalism
  • External appointments
  • Leland Dunwoodie | 269-759-4768 | ldunwoo@g.clemson.edu | @lelanddunwoodie

New Business

Senate Bill 15

  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Sponsor: Janay Crosland
  • Purpose statement: To approve the following appointments to the 2017-2018 Undergraduate Student Government Supreme Court
  • CJ: move to send this bill back to F&P
  • Bill is back in F&P

Senate Bill 16

  • Author: Leland Dunwoodie
  • Purpose: To approve the following appointments to the 2017-2018 Undergraduate Student Senate
  • JS: move to suspend the rules and send this bill into second read
  • Bill now in second read
  • BD: move to call SB 16 into question
  • SB 16 passes

Senate Bill 17

  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Sponsors: Connor McCormick and Karl Bossard
  • Purpose: To update the Student Body Student Organizations bylaws to reflect the appropriate changes for Sponsored Student Organizations
  • JR: would adding a Big 7 decrease the lump sums for other Big 6 groups?
  • CM: no it wouldn’t change the amount of money at all, just help with planning ahead and organization
  • KB: I’ll send a list out of all the organizations which will make up the Military Council
  • CJ: would the composition of the Military Council ever change?
  • CM: we would consider if a new organization were to come to campus, but probably pretty unlikely in the near future unless Navy ROTC comes to campus
  • RR: adding other organizations to Big 6?
  • MH: only been considering adding Military Council, not looking to add others currently
  • RR: what would the process be for another organization to join Big 6?
  • CM: consistency of allocation amounts and events, all the money goes back to Clemson and students here on campus
  • PG: is Big 6 just a colloquial term?
  • CM: yield to Jacob McMeekin
  • JM: it is a colloquial term
  • PG: requirement for sustainability?
  • CM: same rules apply to Big 6, only apply for 65% of funding like everyone else, etc.
  • Webmaster McCall: if Military Council is added, how much would the big chunk be?
  • CM: no limit to how much can be allocated to a certain organization, won’t impact other clubs, not taking away money from anyone
  • BD: move to send this bill back to F&P

Senate Bill 18

  • Authors: Christian Jones and Bryson Daniels
  • Purpose: To approve the recommended non-operational appropriations
  • BB: elaborate on case of retroactive funding?
  • CM: event fell right on the cut-off of the last fiscal year, so previously spoke with them about pushing it back until the Fall semester
  • TM: move to send this bill back to F&P
  • Bill is back in F&P

Announcements

  • CUSG Calendar- send any events to me
  • JL: Tigerama coming up on October 6, $10 for students right now, prices go up at the door
  • JC: NPHC will be hosting Fall Fest, a step show, selling tickets online, will be on October 6
  • SP: Sigma Alpha Lambda having a proceeds night at Groucho’s 9/20, going to hurricane relief
  • WW: move for a roll call
  • JR: will be sending out proof for Fall Retreat shirts
  • CP: OER event with free pizza, Clemson just joined open education network
  • DS: motion to adjourn
Created By
Kara Donovan
Appreciate

Credits:

Created with images by jill111 - "stack of books vintage books book" • Daria-Yakovleva - "background frame food" • TBIT - "dollar bank note money" • www.metaphoricalplatypus.com - "Bikes" • mebner1 - "printer 3d making"

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.