Thank you for taking over UBC's Snapchat account for prospective students! We can't wait to see what you snap on the day of your takeover. This guide was created to ensure you have all the information and support you need to make your takeover a success. Let's dive in!
The UBC Recruitment Marketing team launched the @youbcsnaps Snapchat account in April 2016 and use it mainly to:
- Show prospective undergraduate students from both Canada and abroad what it's really like to study, compete, and spend time at our Vancouver and Okanagan campuses.
- Build relationships with students before they set foot on campus.
Takeovers are a great way to show prospective students what your daily life as a UBC student and athlete looks like. Whether you're studying, meeting friends, or going to the gym, bring our audience along for the ride!
Note: If you've been asked to focus on a certain theme (i.e. balancing school with sports, adjusting to life in Canada, competing, etc. ), please structure your story around that theme.
Here's an example of a story structure you could use:
- Hello and an introduction to you (name, where you're from, what you're studying)
- Quick explanation of your sport and why you chose to join UBC Athletics
- Explain your plan for the day
- Walk/commute to school or practice
- Show viewers where you train, or a place you like to hang out in
- Show a lecture hall
- Cameo by a classmate or teammate
- Sneak peek of what it's like to be a UBC varsity athlete (practice, competing, talking to a coach or teammate, etc.)
- Thank your audience for watching
Here are some important housekeeping items to be aware of:
- Communicate with your coach/team: It's important that your takeover doesn't get in the way of your athletics commitments or cause distractions. Check in with your coach or teammates before you start snapping.
- Incoming Messages: Please do not open any incoming messages. We are currently running a separate admissions campaign asking students to send us photos, and a member of the Recruitment Marketing team must open each message to respond.
- Theme: Pick one before you start. Stories with a general theme are more fun to watch than ones with no theme.
- Time Commitment Try not to exceed 20 snaps during your takeover.
- Snapchat Password We will email you a personalized Snapchat password one business day before your takeover. Keep this password private.
- Showing Other People Are your friends interested in taking part? That's great! Just make sure you have their permission to include them before you start recording.
- Need help? Call, email or text your contact from the Recruitment Marketing team at any point during your takeover.
Need a little inspiration? Take a look at some of these successful UBC takeovers from the past year.
Notice how JD's story has a clear beginning and end? Adding structure to your takeover will make it easier to watch and keep viewers more engaged.
Don't be afraid to show your personality and have fun! Whether you're more reserved or outgoing, this takeover is the perfect place to share your style - whatever it may be.
1. Mix it up Seeing the same photos over and over can get a little old, so try to show variety in the places and photos you take. Don't be afraid to get creative. Emoji's, UBC geofilters, colours, and stickers are encouraged. 😜