So on the topic of healthy eating when it comes to kids, here are a few ideas that have worked for me:
• Get Your Kids Buy-in: Involving kids in planning, shopping, and preparing meals is an opportunity to guide your child into healthier eating habits rather than dictating what they have to eat. My kids are much more likely to eat foods they had a hand in bringing to their lunch box or to the table.
• Model Healthy Food/Eating Behavior: Be mindful of your own relationship with food and model healthy eating behaviors. Ultimately if you want your kids to grow up making good food choices and incorporating healthy behaviors like exercise, you have to walk the talk and show them how it’s done. The old adage “do as I say, not as I do” doesn’t work with this generation of kids.
• Plan for those Snack Attacks: Ask any parent, and they will tell you that their kids stand in front of the pantry, or with the refrigerator door open waiting for a snack to magically appear. So, I shoot for having healthy snacks readily accessible in both of those locations.
Let’s face it, many families rely on “convenience” foods to fill up their pantries, but convenient doesn’t have to mean unhealthy! Providing tasty and healthy snacking options remains the cornerstone of RW Garcia and as you can imagine my kids are quite familiar with RW products! Some of their favorite healthy snack combo’s that I make readily available in our pantry/fridge snack arsenal are:
• Skewers with grapes, cheese chunks, and turkey bites with a handful of Sweet Potato Crackers from the pantry for a salty, sweet, crunch.
RW Garcia Sweet Potato Crackers Charcuterie
• MixtBag Tortilla Chips from the pantry pairs well with Guacamole, Hummus, or salsa (prepping individual portions for both guac and hummus to make it extra easy for lunch on-the-go)
RW Garcia Mixtbag Blue Yellow Tortilla Chips
• Our new Cheesy Crackers are a great addition to the RW Garcia stable of products! This healthier version of a certain iconic square cracker is chock full of real cheese, cassava and Non-GMO corn for a great gluten free alternative. Thrown together with some salami or apple slices and you've got a timeless after-school snack.
So, to all the Moms and Dads out there gearing up for back to school – I wish you good luck and happy snacking!