- Author: Jeanette Winterson
- Art and Universality
- Learn to appreciate art individually
- Art and beauty never seperate
- Important quotes: “Art opens the heart” (Winterson 7); “It is not so much influence as it is connection” (Winterson 12); “Art, all art, is the communication cord that cannot be snapped by indifferences or disasters” (Winterson 20)
- Questions: Winterson says that “true art, when it happens to us, challenges the ‘I’ that we are.” In what ways does art change a person’s outlook on life? Any Personal experiences?
The Sabbath: A Palace in Time
- Author: Abraham Joshua Heschel
- Aristotle's view vs. a biblical view
- Set aside time to celebrate life: "a day for the sake of life" (Heschel 14)
- Rest takes discipline
- Less common to observe Sabbath today
- Questions: What things do we do that are relatable to the Sabbath? Do you think that rest, such as observing Sabbath, is a good way to stop and celebrate life, or do you view it as a waste of time? How important is rest in the search for a good life?
The Super Bowl: A Modern Day Example of Celebrating
- Nationally celebrated event in the United States
- Mirroring in other cultures
- Contrasts with the idea of observing Sabbath
- Important quote: “A celebration in general crosses the line if it’s choreographed, if it’s excessive, if it’s prolonged.” (Mather)
- Sports can be nationally celebrated but also universally expressing the objective, which states, “celebrations of the good life are 'universal' or particular to a place, time, and audience.”
- Questions: Is the American celebration of the Super Bowl excessive? What role does the celebration of sports have on the good life?