The Case for Gaming Why Teachers Should Include Video Games
Three Compelling Reasons
- Gaming provides students opportunities for meaningful play.
- Gaming provides students rich collaborative experiences.
- Gaming challenges students to learn new information and master important skills.
(Salen & Zimmerman, 2003; Kiili, 2005; Ginsburg, 2007)
Gaming provides students rich, collaborative experiences.
Johnson, Smith, Willis, Levine, & Haywood, 2011
Gaming challenges students to learn new information and master important skills.
Gee, 2009; U.S. Department of Education, 2010
Questions to Consider:
- Do you need to know how to play the game as well as the student?
- Should gaming take place in/out of class?
- How should you allow for students that might not have access?
- What are some compelling games? (List your subject, grade - then title of the game and why it's compelling.)