The Mercer Administration Building - The Picture on the Left was taken in 1894
St. Josephs Catholic Church - The Major differences are on either side of the church; on the left, there have been plenty of modern developments, whole on the right, the houses in the older picture were demolished in favor of the church's parish house
The First Baptist Church of Christ has been sitting atop Poplar Street since 1826. The picture is believed to have been taken in the 1890's, and one can see the old streetcars that were around during that time. Today, the church has had some renovations and some new neighbors.
The Hay House is one of the few areas of Macon that has largely remained unchanged over the last century. The home was constructed in 1859, and kept up and kept the same throughout the confederacy and through the purchase of Parks Hay, the building's namesake.
The Woodruff House was built in 1836 for a wealthy railroad entrepreneur named Jerry Cowles. After changing ownership may times over the years, the house is now owned by Mercer University and is used as an event space.
Rose Hill Cemetery is as iconic as Macon itself, and it has remained relatively the same for over century. As time has passed, the white arch as the entryway has stood strong, and the house that is next door has been renovated.
Macon City Hall was built in 1836 and was originally a headquarters for the Monroe Railroad and Banking Company. It was briefly was used as the confederate capitol in 1864 and 1865. It was later converted to the city hall you see today through a series of renovations.
Schofield Iron Works was founded in 1850 on 5th Street, and was one of Macon's leading industries by the mid 1860's. The company ran for a century until it closed in the 1970's as Taylor Iron. Today, the building is no longer there.
Poplar Street is still the busting center of the city that it once was over 100 years ago. Traffic was heavy in the 1800's, and the roads were not even paved. The building in the center of the picture has stood the entire time, along with the one to the left of it, as well as the one to the right.
Second Street in Macon has perhaps changed the most of all. Back in the mid 1800's, second street was ready to export cotton from all around Macon. Today, different buildings and renovations have taken pace; however, the area is still as busy as ever.