Welcome to Junior Group Guidance
This course is designed to walk you through all aspects of the college search and college application process. Throughout this spring we will cover:
- Standardized Testing: ACT, new SAT, and SAT II Subject Test
- Demonstrated Interest: College Visits, Information Sessions, and Interviews
- The College Search
- Developing a Balanced College List
- The Common Application
- Financial Aid
- The College Essay
- College Interviews
- And more.
As a class, you face a unique situation. You are the first graduating class that will have predominantly taken the new SAT. We have some general advice but you need to work with your counselor one on one to make the best testing plan for you as an individual.
- Take a practice test for both the ACT and SAT. While the new SAT has been redesigned to be more similar to the ACT, you may do better on one test than the other.
- Take at least 2 during your junior year.
- Practice! If you are going to focus on the ACT, make sure you have taken the prep course at BC High. If you are going to focus on the SAT, use the free Khan Academy prep course.
Standardized Testing Plan
ACT Dates: April 8 and June 10
SAT Dates: March 11, May 6, and June 3
SAT II Subject Tests: These are 1 hour subject specific exams (for example: Bio, US History, Mathematics, and foreign languages). You may take up to 3 in one day. The are offered on the same dates as the SAT. These tests may be required by particular universities or for particular majors at a university. We recommend that if you have a GPA above a 3.5 you consider taking the tests as it is likely a university you will be applying to requires at least 2 subject test scores.
Test Optional Universities
For those of you that struggle with testing, there are many great universities that do not require standardized testing. Test optional universities that are popular with BC High students include:
- Assumption College
- Bates College
- Bowdoin College
- College of the Holy Cross
- Emmanuel College
- Fairfield University
- Loyola University, Maryland
- Merrimack College
- Providence College
- Roger Williams University
- Saint Anselm College
- Saint Joseph's University
- Wake Forest University
- And over 700 other 4-year universities listed at www.fairtest.org