- Northern diet usually consists of fish and potatoes
- Southern diet frequently contains dumplings
- Sausages are the major food throughout Germany. There are a variety of kinds
- A popular dish is eintopfgerichte, a one-dish casserole that can have many ingredients
- Veal an elegant meat and delicacy in Germany
- Sauerkraut is also popular in Germany
- kaffee trinken is an afternoon coffee hour and rich desserts are often served
- Germany Produces fine wines
- Unity Day, on October 3rd celebrates the day in 1990 when the Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany) and the German Democratic Republic (East Germany) were reunited into one nation after 45 years of separation. It is celebrated through political speeches, church services and concerts.
- Ice World Festival- starts as early as November and is held in late January and late February. As much as 600,000 pounds of ice is carved by artists into works
- of art. Each year, the carvings correspond to an unique theme and are lit by thousands of colored lights.
- Waeldchestag Folk Festival- Features food and drink, garden displays, stage productions, music, and other events for all ages. It is a major celebration that joins old traditions with modern popular culture.
- Dippemess- Occurs each year during March and April and dates back to the 14th century. The thrills include carnival rides and carousels, and large markets. The event is opened and closed with impressive firework displays.
Ice Sculpture created during the Ice World Festival in Germany
- During the advent season, most cities host their own christmas market
- The tradition of decorating Christmas trees in homes and public places started in Germany
- Easter bunnies and egg hunt traditions are practiced in Germany
- Culture in Germany is expanding and influenced by the many immigrants entering the country
"Germany." World Geography: Understanding a Changing World, ABC-CLIO, 2017, worldgeography.abc-clio.com/Topics/Display/72?cid=41. Accessed 7 May 2017.
"Germany: Foods and Holidays." World Geography: Understanding a Changing World, ABC-CLIO, 2017, worldgeography.abc-clio.com/Topics/Display/72?cid=65. Accessed 7 May 2017.
Kuhlke, Olaf. "Germany: Traditions & Etiquette." World Geography: Understanding a Changing World, ABC-CLIO, 2017, worldgeography.abc-clio.com/Topics/Display/72?cid=63. Accessed 7 May 2017.
"Europe: Germany." The World Factbook. Accessed 7 May 2017. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/gm.html