Over 100 people attended the Aspect Recognition Awards ceremony on Thurs 5 April at the Radisson Blue Hotel, in Sydney. The night saw seven awards presented to individuals, families, carers, and professionals whose efforts, skills or projects highlighted or addressed issues facing the autism community.
This year’s awards really highlighted the important role of small community
Groups such as the ones highlighted at the awards, often start out as a small niche groups who recognise an unmet need - before becoming widely recognised as playing a vital role in the life of so many people." (Adrian Ford, Aspect CEO)
The 2019 Aspect Recognition Award recipients include:
• David Foster Appreciation Award – The volunteers for Everyone Can Dance - a not for profit registered dance charity for individuals with autism and a disability. The charity relies solely on the support of local volunteers who give up their time to support 120 students who participate in free weekly classes
• Above and Beyond Award – The Yellow Lady Bugs – an organisation dedicated to the happiness, success and celebration of autistic girls and women.
• Advancement Award – Westmead Feelings Program team – developed at the Children’s Hospital at Westmead, this program has researched and developed interventions that promote emotional competence skills for young people, with scaffolding for parents, teachers and clinic professionals.
• Parent Carer of the Year Award – Emily Ma – recognising that many families in the Chinese community with a child with special needs were isolated due to cultural social stigma and their language diversity, Emily developed the Chinese Parent’s Special Needs Support Network and has been running it as a volunteer for 20 years.
• Inspiration Award for Individual Achievement (Youth) – Clay Lewis – for surpassing many personal hurdles and becoming a successful entrepreneur who is now inspiring others.
• Inspiration Award for Individual Achievement (Adult) – Chloe Hayden – who took her autism journey and turned it into a local, state, national and international spotlight for advocacy, awareness and education.
• Aspect Board Award for Exceptional Contribution to Aspect – Hilton Grugeon – for his long association and support of the Aspect Hunter School.