July TeenTalk 2018- Sailing on the yacht america
June TeenTalk Event and survey responses
We surveyed the teen participants at our TeenTalk at the Ballpark event and here are some results!
Report based on 52 Teen responses
- Only 21% of teens surveyed felt comfortable talking about the challenges of being a military family.
- 41% of teens surveyed experienced trouble communicating with a parent after they returned from their most recent deployment.
- 20% of teens surveyed experienced feelings of anger with a parent after they returned from their most recent deployment.
- 41% of teens surveyed had difficulty completing school work while a parent was deployed.
- 45% of teens surveyed had difficulty making or keeping friends while a parent was deployed.
- 24% of teens surveyed felt more stressed than usual.
Helpful resources for teens
The average child in a military family will move six to nine times during a school career. That's an average of three times more frequently than nonmilitary families (Department of Defense Education Activity, 2018)
"Most military-connected youth demonstrate resilience. However, results suggest that during wartime, military-connected youth are at increased risk for adverse outcomes. Further, when compared with data from 2011, the rates of these negative outcomes appear to be increasing. These findings suggest a need to identify and intervene with military-connected adolescents and reflect a larger concern regarding the well-being of military families during wartime. Nonetheless, previous studies regarding the functioning of military-connected youth, spouses, and service members have suggested that military families are struggling to cope with wartime stressors, specifically due to deployments, separation, and multiple relocations. Based on the totality of findings from this study and others, further efforts are needed to promote resilience among military children who are struggling (JAMA Pediatrics, 2015)."
WE STRIVE TO BE GOOD STEWARDS OF THE DONATIONS AND SPONSORSHIPS FROM OUR SAN DIEGO COMMUNITY BY CREATING EFFECTIVE NEEDS-BASED PROGRAMS AND RESOURCES. IT IS OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO USE OUR DONATIONS AND SPONSORSHIPS IN A SAFE, SMART, AND SUSTAINABLE WAY IN ORDER TO KEEP SERVING OUR MILITARY COMMUNITY FOR GENERATIONS TO COME.
Looking to sponsor a TEENTALK event or get involved, please contact email@example.com or call (619) 235-6503